Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 (Gen1)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

What's the most powerful CPU my ProBook 450 (Gen1) could handle? 
My current specs are:

Intel Core i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM: 8.00GB
AMD Radeon HD 8750M
1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 SCSI 

I'm into videography and the current specs are insufficent. At first I thought that upgrading to a SSD will speed things up, but I figured that my CPU struggles to keep up, since the laptop tends to overhead while editing.

PS: I love the design of the ProBook 450, so I hope I won't have to buy another lap top. However, in case (for some reason) upgrades are limited on this one, feel free to suggest a good HP laptop for video editing.

Thanks in advance,
Arian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is a healthy budget and should get you something very good. Laptops do seem to cost quite a bit more in Europe. 

This is the same thing I have. For under 2000 Euros you get the i7 Quad, 8 gigs of RAM,and a 256 gig SSD. This one even has an added in dedicated video card which will be adequate for video editing.

With the extra 500 Euros in your budget you can upgrade easily to 16 gigs of RAM, leaving 2 open slots to keep adding if 16 gigs is not enough. And then you should still have enough for additional storage or if you bought an SSD for your existing laptop just swap it over. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-ZBook-15-G3-Mobile-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR-Y6J57EA-ABD/292357412999?hash=...

Let me know if you want to search US sites and see if you can find someone who will ship to Germany. 

Post back with any questions but click "Accept as Solution" to help others if this is the answer you needed.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here's the Manual:

Manual

You already have the top of the line motherboard, processor and video card option for that model. No further upgrade is possible except memory (see below). 

Professional video editing is probably the most demanding thing computers are used to do. No such thing as too much power. You can always use more. I know Hollywood video production houses like Pixar use the HP Mobile Workstation machines with Xeon processors and 64 gigs of RAM. But you are looking at a $4-5000 laptop there. 

Memory is probably the single best and simplest upgrade you should do. No way you can get by on 8 gigs of RAM and an upgrade to 16 gigs would be noticeable at a minimum. 32 gigs would be better but not possible on that laptop.

I personally have a Zbook 15 G3 with a Quad Core i7 processor, 16 gigs of DDR4, and a pair of solid state drives. An M.2 PCIe/NVME for the OS and then a 2.5 inch SATA SSD for storage. It has a removeable and upgradeable nVidia MXM video card. 

I was just looking to get one like it for one of my employees and noticing that you can get the base unit for about $1000 refurbished or there are still new units out there in the market for about the same price. This laptop has 4 RAM slots and can run up to 64 gigs and can hold a pair of M.2 disks and also a 2.5 inch hard drive. Screens are available up to 4K resolution and I use mine with a Thunderbolt dock driving a pair of 4K 27 inch monitors. 

So if you are strapped for cash, upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM. If you can scrape together about $1800-2000 you can get a refurbished or new old stock dream machine that will cut through your work like a hot knife through butter. Consumer laptops are just not the way to go for you I am afraid. 

Post back if you want to get some suggestions where to buy the equipment you need. I would also need to know what country you live in. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I currently reside in Berlin.  My laptop was good enough for some basic stuff, but recently I started doing some complex projects and it became evident I need something more powerful. 

I'm willing to invest up to 2500 euros ($2941) for a laptop, since I will be video editing professionally.

HP Recommended

That is a healthy budget and should get you something very good. Laptops do seem to cost quite a bit more in Europe. 

This is the same thing I have. For under 2000 Euros you get the i7 Quad, 8 gigs of RAM,and a 256 gig SSD. This one even has an added in dedicated video card which will be adequate for video editing.

With the extra 500 Euros in your budget you can upgrade easily to 16 gigs of RAM, leaving 2 open slots to keep adding if 16 gigs is not enough. And then you should still have enough for additional storage or if you bought an SSD for your existing laptop just swap it over. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-ZBook-15-G3-Mobile-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR-Y6J57EA-ABD/292357412999?hash=...

Let me know if you want to search US sites and see if you can find someone who will ship to Germany. 

Post back with any questions but click "Accept as Solution" to help others if this is the answer you needed.  

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the golden advice! Your contribution here is priceless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.