Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw1008no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We had an automatic update done on the computer a few days ago. After that it looked like the computer was almost reset to new but with problems. Our photos was lost from the folder "pictures/photos" (not sure of the name in the English version), but we found them in another folder. The photos app is there but not possible to open. ANd now it looks like the computer wants to restart and update again. Does anyone understand what this is about?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@kerskaa

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,
To get the answer to this question, your computer is trying to complete the Windows update. I would recommend go ahead and complete the task. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I need all the help I can get! Now I have updated again and have the same problems. Missing apps, for example Photos and Calculator and I need to make all my settings all over again. Is it a virus maybe?

Kerstin

HP Recommended

@kerskaa

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping out. I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Should I use the first link that you call System Recovery or the second link that you call HP Cloud Recovery?

I don't think I have done any back-up and guess my photos and documents that was saved locally on the computer are lost and impossible to recover. 

Kerstin

HP Recommended

@kerskaa

To download the recovery software, click HP Cloud Recovery Tool. and also refer to the article: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205 Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again, 

Been postponing this since I felt very insecure on how to proceed. Now when I finally tried to follow your instructions I realizie that I can't even download the HP Cloud Recovery tool. I am trying to click the link you sent, but nothing happens. I also tried downloading it through Microsoft store on the web, but nothing happens there either. Also realized that my Microsoft store app is not working (similar as Photos and Calculator app).

Would appreciate further assistance.

Kerstin 

HP Recommended

@kerskaa

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.
Let's try this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to access the HP Cloud Recovery tool.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.