Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi all. Just wondering about this laptop. It came with a 64 gb emmc soldered to the mobo, but I also see that it was a PCIe slot. What is the purpose of this slot? I've purchased a NVMe ssd for it, but it's not being recognized at all. Upgrading RAM was simple enough but it's frustrating that it's not recognizing the ssd - I just want to have a secondary form of internal memory for it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Linda_707 

The M.2 SSD slot your notebook has only supports SATA M.2 SSD's not NVMe.

Exchange the NVMe SSD for a WD Blue SATA SSD in a storage capacity that fits your needs and budget.

This is the 500 GB model for example...

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to...

I recommend you use the M.2 SSD as the boot drive and the 64 GB eMMC drive for storage.

The M.2 SSD should have around twice the read/write speed as the eMMC drive has.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi, @Linda_707 you can find a list of compatible RAM and SSD for your laptop here.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-14-fq0045nr

Also, A PCIe or PCI Express slot is the point of connection between your PC's “peripheral components” and the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Linda_707 

The M.2 SSD slot your notebook has only supports SATA M.2 SSD's not NVMe.

Exchange the NVMe SSD for a WD Blue SATA SSD in a storage capacity that fits your needs and budget.

This is the 500 GB model for example...

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to...

I recommend you use the M.2 SSD as the boot drive and the 64 GB eMMC drive for storage.

The M.2 SSD should have around twice the read/write speed as the eMMC drive has.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, it looks like there's only one notch, which allows for the NVMe slot to fit in perfectly. Not sure the SATA M.2 will fit in there. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

A SATA M.2 SSD will fit and work fine.

It just doesn't use the contact pins in the part of the M.2 slot where the second notch will go.

All M.2 slots on every HP notebook and desktop PC I am familiar with have M.2 slots that look like they will support NVMe SSD's.

However, some support SATA only, like the slot in your notebook (and I believe that is only due to the fact that it has that 64 GB eMMC drive), some support NVMe only and some slots support both types.

The service manual does not specify which type of drive is supported in notebooks with the eMMC drives.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types. 

You can see that both types are supported but not for your notebook

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

I know this because someone with a different model number in the 14-fq series that had the same processor as yours and an eMMC drive and had the same issue, and when I suggested he try the SATA M.2 SSD, he reported that worked great.

If I come across the discussion, I will post it here.  I tried finding it earlier and was not successful.

HP Recommended

Hi, Linda:

I still can't find the post but on this Amazon link for a similar notebook in the series, one of the reviewers also stated the same thing...M.2 slot only supports SATA SSD's...5th reviewer down on the list.

HP 14 Laptop, AMD 3020e, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC Storage, 14-inch HD Touchscreen, Windows 10 Home in S ...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I was able to find the manual for the series, but I guess it's meant to support multiple variations of the FQ line of laptops...? Confusing. In any case, will try an M.2 SATA unit and see how that goes. Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, the manuals are sometimes not specific and, in a few circumstances, just plain wrong on some details.

Yes, please let us know the outcome.

HP Recommended

Paul, thank you! It worked. I partitioned it just now. Just trying to figure out if there's a way to have it boot off this drive, since it's still only showing the original Hynix in OS boot manager, hmmm. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Linda.

I'm thinking you may have to remove Windows from the original 64 GB drive, or the notebook will always want to boot from that drive first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.