Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy M6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. Hope you are all safe and well.

I have just joined this community because I have experienced an issue with my HP Laptop which I cannot fix.

My 2014 HP Envy M6 was starting to strugle and present an 'Insufficient Memory to Run Program' error message.

I had 6GB Ram installed, 1 x 4GB and 1 x 2GB chips occupying the two slots on my board.

To be honest, I have never checked the functionality of the slots so I don;t know when my issue first started!

I knee-jerked into buying some new compatable memory. 2 x 4GB Ram chips.

I installed them and then checked functionality. Windows can only see slot 1 (Top) when I use system information or the command prompt to look at the slots and the installed RAM.

So my machine is only using 4GB of RAM installed in slot 1 (Top).

I have removed and re-seated the ram chips several times switching the chips round and tried to boot my machine with only RAM in slot 2 (Bottom), which failed.

I have installed CPU-Z and run the utility which can see both slots and the total 8GB RAM. This means that there is power to slot 2 (Bottom)

I have run the HP Assistant to look for updates to my BIOS and none are found. I find this strange as the last update was run in 2014. (I switched off the service to free up system resource).

So to my question: How can I get my BIOS and Windows to see the 2nd RAM Slot and the installed memory chip?

Thanks for reading my question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Huffer.

The Memory is labled Techmeo, bought on Amazon.

I'm happy to report that I have solved the issue.

I unplugged the CMOS battery and re-connected it after 10 seconds.

I re-seated the 2 x 4GB chips into slots Bottom & Top and re-booted.

A clean boot followed and now windows can see both chips and is reporting the correct RAM Value.

I'm super happy.

Thanks for your reply to my question. I will mark this question as solved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Can we know what memory you bought?

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer.

The Memory is labled Techmeo, bought on Amazon.

I'm happy to report that I have solved the issue.

I unplugged the CMOS battery and re-connected it after 10 seconds.

I re-seated the 2 x 4GB chips into slots Bottom & Top and re-booted.

A clean boot followed and now windows can see both chips and is reporting the correct RAM Value.

I'm super happy.

Thanks for your reply to my question. I will mark this question as solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.