Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
My HP Pavilion 15 n209tx notebook has 2 memory slots for RAM modules. One slot contain Hynix 4GB 1600MHz RAM. I want to upgrade total RAM to 12GB. I'm from India &amp; am thinking of buying 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM 12800, PC3L Non-ECC SDRAM 1.35V. I have few doubts &amp; questions regarding the upgrade. Kindly enlighten me with appropriate advice.<br>1. First of all, is my choice of RAM specs correct and suitable for my laptop model?<br>2. If I don't get same brand HYNIX from market, is there any problem on buying another brand with same specs and installing it into memory slot in addition to Hynix RAM?<br>3. Which brand is best one available in India?<br>4. How do I know if my preinstalled RAM is single/dual channel (actually I don't know what it is meant)?<br>5. My laptop product service catalog/manual says it supports only 8GB DDRL3 1600MHz SHARED RAM if I'm planning to upgrade. What does that mean &amp; should I specifically look out for something while buying RAM from retail shop?<br><br>Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know the market in India at all. When I say no-name memory I mean literally no-name memory. It will just have the speed stamped on it no other identification. If you mix modules you lose dual channel operation which means the memory can transfer 10-15% less information per cycle. While generally, the more memory the better, but it is also true you want it to be faster. Very few computer users really need more than 8 gigs. Hence most people would be better off with 8 gigs in dual channel than 12 gigs in single channel mode. 

This memory would work fine and would be functionally identical to the module you have:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HP-4GB-DDR3L-1600-1-35V-SODIMM-H6Y75AA-UUF-/131174135449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_...

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

It says the laptop can take up to 12 gigs, which is odd. Usually if it will take 12 it would also take 16. But there has to be some reason. The memory you describe is correct for the system. DDR3L means low voltage and 1600 nhz DDR3 laptop memory is right. You can mix memory brands as long as the specs are the same. Hynix (Hyundai Electronics) and Samsung are the two biggest chip makers and most of the brands you see on memory chips are actually the name of the assembler. They take Hynix and Samsung chips and mount them on boards to make modules. Just stay away from non-name generic memory. Buy Kingston, Crucial, Hynix, G.Skill, Mushin, OCZ, PNY. It is all good. 

Use a program called CPU-Z to find if the memory is single or dual channel. It cannot be dual channel unless two identical sticks of memory are used so if you have 12 it will not be dual channel. I would put 8 in there before I did 12.  2 x 4 gig identical modules will run better than mixed modules. And by identical I just mean the same size and speed. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Kingston is available in ebay.in. So you are saying that there's no problem in mixing Hynix with Kingston. I thought of upgrading with 8GB to the 4GB already present in the laptop. But since you are saying that identical modules run better than mixed modules, should I go for 4GB instead of 8GB? Could you please explain what difficulty I can face if mixed modules are put in together. Actually higher the total RAM means increased performance right, so how come 4+4GB better than 4+8GB?

Also from where can I get Hynix RAM suitable for my prefernce. I'm from India, could you help me out if you can?

What are non-name generic memory you were refering to, could you list some of it?

In your opinion, which brand should I buy if its available in India....please send me links of their online sale (either eBay ro amazon or flipkart.com).

HP Recommended

I don't know the market in India at all. When I say no-name memory I mean literally no-name memory. It will just have the speed stamped on it no other identification. If you mix modules you lose dual channel operation which means the memory can transfer 10-15% less information per cycle. While generally, the more memory the better, but it is also true you want it to be faster. Very few computer users really need more than 8 gigs. Hence most people would be better off with 8 gigs in dual channel than 12 gigs in single channel mode. 

This memory would work fine and would be functionally identical to the module you have:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HP-4GB-DDR3L-1600-1-35V-SODIMM-H6Y75AA-UUF-/131174135449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_...

HP Recommended
OK Huffer. I'll go as you say. I am new to this topic. It was really a more practical solution you gave me. I'm going to buy it from eBay. I think that's the same device I was looking for. First I have go and ask about it at HP authorised service centre. Will my laptop warranty get void if I upgrade RAM?
HP Recommended

No, the warranty is unaffected. And you do not need HP to do the upgrade. RAM is very easy to install. Do you need help with it?

HP Recommended
Yes, I would appreciate if you could help me out if it's simple enough that I'll be able to upgrade it. But you need to have tools for that don't you? And also electro static safe surrounding ought to be there for all that disassembling & assembling right?
HP Recommended

You need a small Phillips screwdriver. See pages 44 and 45 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

If you prefer video this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FvZ-JduRM

The Manual goes into electrostatic discharge safety but if you just touch something metal before you start you will be OK. 

HP Recommended
OK. This one seems to be simple one. So I will have to get Phillips P0, P1 screwdrivers. In the video I could notice that one of wires of WiFi get detached & thereafter he just push the end of the wires on to the circuit pin, is it so simple and is there no need to get worried if those wires get detached while handling it?
HP Recommended

Leave the wireless wires alone. No need to go there. Just slip the memory in under the antenna. Once you get the service plate off it will be obvious. But if you should knock the antenna loose it is easy to reconnect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.