Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hmm ye I read that part about the slots as well, but I understood it as first you fill slot one then slot 2 of either the main slots or the other slots, not as in first use the primairy ones and then the other 2.

But I will give it a try 🙂 thnx again

HP Recommended

Hi:

The way I interpret it is that you have the one 4 GB chip under the keyboard in the primary slot.

If you are only adding another 4 GB chip you put it in the primary slot in the bottom memory compartment..

Then if you add another 8 GB you then remove the keyboard, populate the blank slot under there and the other blank slot on the bottom of the notebook.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi!

I just joined this forum as I was looking to use a RAM chip I had lying around. The problem is, I followed the keyboard removal instructions, and found that there are NO RAM recepticles under the keyboard on my 8560w!!! Is this normal? I took photos I can provide if necessary.

Also, to help people out a little, the four release tabs to be popped in are listed in the proper order are: 1. between the "pd dn" and "-" buttons (via the right side of the laptop. 2. above the "delete" key. 3. above the "f9" key. 4. above the "f4" key. Not too much force is needed to reveal the tabs, you just have to push the keyboard out at its center line to draw the edge of the keyboard away from the edge of the border. Also, don't use a metal screwdriver to push in the tabs (as I did 😞  ), you might scratch the finish. Ha ha...

What the heck HP!? This is kind of funny. So the one I bought was a refurb., and it didn't advertise it having a backlit keyboard. When I removed the keyboard, I saw an unused ribbon just hanging out. I thought I may have pulled it out by accident, so I put it in its slot. Guess what? Now my keyboard's backlit!!! Nice. Frickin' sweet. How sneaky of you HP... That doesn't fix my missing RAM recepticles however...

Again, should have they been in there? I thought these were advertised as having 4 RAM slots.

Thanks,

Donnie

HP Recommended

Hi, Donnie:

According to the service manual no matter whether your PC has a quad core processor, which has 4 memory slots and can take up to 32 GB of memory, or a dual core processor, which has two memory slots and can take up to 8 GB of memory, there is at least one memory slot under the keyboard.

See chapter 4 for illustrations, and memory removal & replacement procedures.

There are separate sections for removal of the expansion memory modules and primary memory modules.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03424153/c03424153.pdf

Paul

HP Recommended
Thanks so much for the QUICK reply!!! I should have read up on it more first. That answers that.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul ...can you please calrify and vaildate the info :

Let's say i have 4gb on the primary slots ,  Slot1, and i want to add memories to my laptop , is it better to feed the slot 2 on the primary slots (under keyboard) (as a lot os system works better in dual channel mod for memory management ) or must i feed the slot 1 on the secondary slots first (witch is weird for my understanding) ...

Also if i decide to add 8 gb of ram is it better to make a 4+4 on the primary + 4 on the secondary or 4 on the primary and 8 on the secondary (slot 1of course) ?

Is it better to stick with 4/8/16/32 gb of ram , no numbers beteween , or can we  go 12 for exemple ...(performance wise)

Thks ...sorry if i'm not that clear ....

HP Recommended

Hi, Jeezo:

As I wrote above, please read the service manual.

It states to populate slot one on the bottom of the PC for dual channel mode.

You do not add a 4 GB chip to the blank slot under the keyboard if you only want 8 GB (4 + 4).

Keyboard slot 1 = 4 GB, Keyboard slot 2 = 0 GB, Bottom of PC Slot 1 = 4 GB, Bottom of PC Slot 2 = 0 GB

Paul

HP Recommended

thks for the quick and clear answer !!

and if i want 4+4+4 do i need to feed the last 4gb on the primary slot 2 or it doesn't matter it i put it on the slot 2 on the bottom ?

Thks again 

Best regard

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The way I would think it has to work, is you would install the 3rd 4 GB chip in the empty slot under the keyboard.

Surely it is easier to put it in the bottom slot, and you can try that, but if it doesn't work, then you're going to have to remove the keyboard.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.