Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2235tx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The R & M Guide for this notebook says a max of 8G of RAM over 2 slots i.e. max of 4G / slot  and  DDR3-1600 MHz Dual Channel support for a Next Generation Intel Core processor.

Processor = Intel Core i7-3632QM processor (2.2GHz, SC turbo up to 3.1GHz, 1600 MHz/6MB L3 cache, quad core, 35W and specs max of 2 memory channels

My current RAM is    Ramaxel 4G 2rx8 PC3-12800S 11-11-1f  (is DDR3 so 1.5v)

My question is, as the current RAM is 2 channels (2sx8) can the RAM in the second slot (to go to 8g) be 2 channels or do I have to remove the current RAM and replace with two new RAM modules of 1 channel (1sx8) each?  If the latter is the case can I used DDR3L (1.35v), which is also a processor spec, in place of the DDR3?

Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you can use DDR3L since you have the 3rd generation processor. Here is the manual:

Service manual

You definitely do not want to mix low and high voltage RAM. If you are going to install 2 modules you want them to be the same density (number of ranks) and ideally, you want them to be identical. 

So I would get 2 x 4 gig DDR3L-1600 modules. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes you can use DDR3L since you have the 3rd generation processor. Here is the manual:

Service manual

You definitely do not want to mix low and high voltage RAM. If you are going to install 2 modules you want them to be the same density (number of ranks) and ideally, you want them to be identical. 

So I would get 2 x 4 gig DDR3L-1600 modules. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.  Cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.