Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there. 

Per the HP maintenance guide for the above named laptop, I am trying to install an 8GB memory module to replace the existing 4GB module. The one I am installing is the one mentioned in the manual as far as I can tell: Samsung original 8GB (1 x 8GB) 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3L-12800, 1600MHz ram. 

However, when I install the module, the computer won't boot. When I put the old, 4GB module back in, it boots fine so I know I am inserting it correctly.

Am I missing a step or is it likely that I have a bad RAM module?

Thank you for your help!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

15-f222wm? Pentium N3540 CPU? One memory slot? 

It should accept a single 8 gig module but the part specified is

8 GB memory module 693374-001

This is a dual rank low density module. Can you provide the part number of the Samsung module you are using? If it has a single rank of black blocks on the side it may not be compatible. 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-PC3L-12800-DDR3L-1600-SODIMM-Notebooks/dp/B00ILBWRRO/ref=asc_df_B00ILBWRRO...

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your speedy response!

Oops...I mistyped the model! Sorry! 

> 15-f222wm? Pentium N3540 CPU? One memory slot? 

15-f233wm. Intell Celaron N3060. One memory slot.

Samsung part number is 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3

Should I choose the HP module at the link you supplied instead?

HP Recommended

The Samsung is a dual rank (8 black blocks, not 4 right?) so is essentially the same product as the module I linked. I will do what others do when they have no idea what to say: have you tried a BIOS upgrade? Seriously it can't hurt but like a 1% chance it works. 

HP Recommended

Yes, it has 8 black blocks.

I suspected something with the BIOS may be needed, but really...I'm just a tech idiot. I can read and follow directions very well, but that's about it. I will read up on upgrading my BIOS and report back.

If that doesn't work, I think it's probably safe to assume I have a dud 8GB module? 

Thank you again for your help!

HP Recommended

It is not very common to get a bad new memory module but it can happen so yes that is possible. 

This is the newest BIOS which was released less than 60 days ago and HP is strongly encouraging its installation on all systems afected:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96001-96500/sp96376.exe

Just download this to desktop double click on it and follow prompts. Have a charged battery and AC adapter attached. 

HP Recommended

I updated to the May 29 BIOS. Still not booting when the new module is inserted. 

I was pretty sure by reading the maintenance manual that this model's memory can be upgraded. Is it possible I am reading that incorrectly and the memory cannot be upgraded?

HP Recommended

Possible yes. 

Manual

There is this line on p.1 which seems inconsistent with the rest of the memory specs:

Supports up to 4 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600 MHz module)

That may be referring to the Pentium and Celeron models. Such as yours. But I am pretty sure we have had people with that model series (very common since sold at WalMart) say they successfully upgraded to 8 gigs. Some specification software like Sisoft Sandra will read Code in the BIOS and tell you the maximum memory each slot can handle. 

Memory info markedMemory info marked

HP Recommended

Hello again!

I've finally had time to get back to this. I ran SiSoft Sandra and the output is attached. It doesn't match the one you posted, so I am not even sure what it is saying (is there a difference between maximum memory and maximum memory bus bandwidth?). 

Thoughts on what this means in my quest to upgrade the RAM? Thank you again for all of your input!

Lynne

sisoft sandra.PNG

HP Recommended

That output is simply not consistent with your computer...not sure what is going on frankly

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.