Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-ae105ur (P0G46EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community!

Recently my laptop start BSODing quite often, and after memory checks with MemTest86 diagnostics tool it appears that on of the RAM module was corrupted .

There was two RAM modules installed from factory DDR3L PC3-12800 (800 MHz) 8Gb each from Micron Technology MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1.

Thus I removed corrupted module. And for now it seems that it solves BSODing problem, but overall performance has been significantly reduced, because now I have only 8Gb of RAM.

And now I'm thinking what to do:

1) buy 8Gb  from another vendor with the same characteristics as mine and install it to my empty slot (which is not quite right as they say for proper dual-channeling), and I already found one  in local store with similar characteristics: Kingston 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (KVR16LS11/8)

2) buy pair of new 8Gb modules for proper dual-channeling (which is quite expensive)

looking at the second option I discovered that my Intel Core i7 6500U supports DDR4 memory modules, but I can not find proof that it will work on my HP ENVY 15-ae105ur (P0G46EA)

But I know you guys know how to find the proper guidance from HP. Can you please help me with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

DDR4 memory runs at a different voltage than DDR3L memory, has a different number of contact pins, and the slot in the memory bar is cut in a different place to prevent the installation of the wrong specification memory.

Crucial memory is made by Micron, so the 8 GB DDR3L Crucial memory chip should work just fine with the remaining good one.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | envy 15-ae series | ENVY 15-ae105ur | Crucial.com

Buy the first one on the list.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

DDR4 memory runs at a different voltage than DDR3L memory, has a different number of contact pins, and the slot in the memory bar is cut in a different place to prevent the installation of the wrong specification memory.

Crucial memory is made by Micron, so the 8 GB DDR3L Crucial memory chip should work just fine with the remaining good one.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | envy 15-ae series | ENVY 15-ae105ur | Crucial.com

Buy the first one on the list.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.