Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6040eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Radeon HD 6490M is replaced by the 7400M and windows 10 locks up

In safe mode i can uninstal the driver and startup windows but after some time display goes black and windows is locked

Again the HD 7400M is installed

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@alfa_ajx732 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Radeon HD 6490M not working.

Please let me know why you are changing the graphics drivers.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@praveen196 Thanks for your response
I'll try to explain my problem
It concerns a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook pc
Prod. Nr: LQ104EA#UUG (DV6-6040eb)
Serial: [edited]
Bios: F.1B
 It has been upgraded from Windows 7 Home x64 to windows 10 Home x64 (1703)
The device manager showed an exclamation mark for the display cards Intel HD 3000M and the AMD Radeon HD 6490M but the notebook was working well.
Some days ago suddenly the notebook is blokked on startup.
It took me a while to find out that the display driver of the HD6490M was the problem.
Now i have following situation:
Installed the latest windows 10 Home x64 (1909).
Starting windows ends up in a black screen.
Restart into safe mode and the device manager shows a display card 7400M with properties not working !
After i uninstalled all with exclamation marked devices in safe mode, restart windows 10 normal and runs.
But only for a short time, suddenly display flickers and system is blokked  again. All over again, restart in safe mode, clear display driver, restart normal and works again for a while ... HP display driver for this dv6-6040eb should be SP55098 (switchable display) but cannot install due to compatibility error!
Installed the SP55092 instead?
Also tried the Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta, ran the Display driver uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.1.1
All with same result 7400M overwriting even without connection to the internet !!!  After some research I found that there is no more support from HP for Windows 10 on notebooks dated before August 2013
Also in this forum the wrong display driver 7400M is mentioned for Windows 8 is the blokking new to windows 10? Now I'm not sure what i may expect, can i still hope to use Windows 10? I would be satisfied if the Intel HD300M could keep running without the 6490M.

HP Recommended

@alfa_ajx732

Thank you for the update.

I understand your concerns.

This model is not supported for the Windows 10 operating system, there are no specific drivers for Windows 10 operating system.

Please see the below link for HP Products Tested with Windows 10.

I would suggest you switch back to the Windows 7 operating system. So, your computer will work fine.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended
So i am a little disapointed, hoped that somewhere it could be possible to disable completely the 6490M, isn't it possible to easily remove the hardware card?

But a new problem araises !!!
To rollback to windows 7 i replaced the ssd by the original HDD and started the recovery (minimal)
Windows 7 is installed but during initial installation of devices black screen and pc is locked again.
Restarted in safe mode but cannot continue because windows is in startup !!! I cannot check what device drivers are installed.
Started a system recovery now completely again but with the same result
So i am stuck please help

HP Recommended

@alfa_ajx732

Unfortunately, It is not possible for 6490M graphics. 

For Windows 7 rollback. you have to use the recovery media and perform the recovery.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@praveen196 wrote:

@alfa_ajx732

For Windows 7 rollback. you have to use the recovery media and perform the recovery.

That's exactly what i'm doing, replaced the original HDD which still has the original recovery partition.

Start the system recovery, after windows 7 is installed system must be restarted. 

After restart initial windows setup runs but screen goes black and nothing happens anymore.

Restart in safe mode tells me that windows is in startup and cannot continue in safe mode, it will after restart.

After restart in normal mode screen goes black again …

Maybe subject of topic must change into Recovery  is not working

HP Recommended

@alfa_ajx732

Thank you for the update.

Have you performed the Hard drive component test?

If not, Please perform the hard drive component test.

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test.  

If the test is passed. Please try to perform HP cloud recovery.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The HDD test failed in the Smart test.

That was the reason to replace the HDD by an SSD drive.

The HDD works very wel only at power up i must press return upon the Smart test failure.

I think the recovery partition is ok because  windows installation files are fully copied

To start the HP cloud recovery I need a running windows !!!!

Tried the HP Cloud Recovery tool on a non HP computer without succes due to mismatching Product Id

HP Recommended

@alfa_ajx732

I would suggest you contact phone support. They will help you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.