Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi, i have a compaq presario c700 runing on vista home premium. It has only 1 gb ram installed so i tried to upgrade to 3 gb ram, all i get is a blue screen saying there is aproblem, i have tried to instal a fresh operating system but it won't let me??

When i put the original ram back in it works fine. I have another compaq and swapped the ram and the hd over i then had nothing? The system will only work with the pre-installed ram,    'HELP'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

I believe it supports only 2 GB (max) and it has ONLY 2 slots/banks therefore it supports ONLY 1Gb each:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/hp+-+compaq-memory/Presario+C700+Series-models.html

You can buy from above vendor to get guarantee RAM will work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It should take 2 gigs, and many of them will take 3. The memory needed is DDR2-667 SO-DIMM, but the earlier ones run at 533 mhz. Can you provide the exact model. There is an Intel and an AMD version and memory requirements and specs vary a bit. 

HP Recommended

It is running on Intel Pentium duel cpu T2370 @ 1.73 GHz

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Thanks, it is now running on 2 gig, my other c700 is running on 4 gig, very strange??
HP Recommended

Same exact model? Later versions could take 4 gigs

HP Recommended

After some extensive testing, it seems the mainboard is strict on using the factory memory type in slot A.  (I was trying to upgrade memory on a C700. The factory installed memory of 1GB is (2x) Samsung 512GB PC2-5300S.

I tried using same & different vendor memory chips of PC2-6400S and PC2-5300S; however, those crashed the system into (BSOD). As well, using a Samsung 2GB PC2-6400S in slot A and the factory 512MB in slot B crashed the system into (BSOD).

The only solution (thus far) that works is using the factory chip of 512GB in slot A, and a 2GB chip in slot B. I have the system at 2.5GB, until (or unless) I can find a suitable larger chip the mainboard will accept in slot A. *((And all this is with the latest BIOS update from HP)).

HP Recommended
Can I install 2gb ram in a or b slot
HP Recommended

I have a Compaq C714. It originally came with CPU T2310 (1.46Ghz) and 512 MB RAM (bus 533).

Now it runs with CPU T 8300 (2.4 Ghz) and 3 Gig of RAM (PC2-6400 or bus 800).

The outer slot can take a 2gig module.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.