Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I got HP 14 ce1507sa model of laptop with M.2 slot which hosts 128gb SSD. 

I want to upgrade it to larger size storage and looking into the NVMe drives. 

But I can't find any info anywhere, will my laptop support NVMe drives and their speeds? 

Tried crucial scanner thingy and it's giving offering to buy NVMe drives along with other SSDs, but I am not really confident if it will work for sure. 

Will appreciate any input! 

Regards

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you did the scanner on crucial I would really trust it.. I looked up the model and it does say 

Storage:

Drive Interface: SATA/M.2 PCIe/SATA

Drive Form Factor: 2.5" and M.2

But notice that it is not an NVME m2 so the speed from 2.5 to M.2 probably will not see much of a better performance and maybe less if what HP put in was a high quality one.. What did the scanner say u have now ssd 2.5 or m2.. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you did the scanner on crucial I would really trust it.. I looked up the model and it does say 

Storage:

Drive Interface: SATA/M.2 PCIe/SATA

Drive Form Factor: 2.5" and M.2

But notice that it is not an NVME m2 so the speed from 2.5 to M.2 probably will not see much of a better performance and maybe less if what HP put in was a high quality one.. What did the scanner say u have now ssd 2.5 or m2.. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for speedy reply! 

Well that's the setup at of my laptop if that makes any sense? 

So to run NVMe I need to have M.2 NVMe support? I thought it has to be NVMe PCIe? 

75580445_488611101749243_1139228440197595136_n (1).jpg

HP Recommended

Well that skinny one is an M.2 but a regular m.2 is not the same as a NVME m.2.. and usually that ive seen not compatible on the same slot.. now it seems u have a m.2 ssd and no regular ssd 2.5 in that bay correct.. pull out the m.2 and just for edited  and giggles google the model number and just verify that its not a NVME.. Let me know your outcome..

HP Recommended

but i just noticed something else if you wanted to install the 2.5 ssd then u will need to also order whatever parts u r missing.. because i dont see the connector for it to the motherboard and not sure if also a missing chassy .. I u want call HP and get parts number of the stuff u need and search for them on ebay .. dont buy from hp super expensive

HP Recommended

You might find this helpful, I did the search for you, read up...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06248869

HP Recommended

something I suggest is calling HP and asking if the m.2 port on ur laptop will accept an NVME card or not.. this is very touch thing to know unless u call them because the port could support both or one or the other.. take me on a hp desktop I had an m.2 port so figured it was a regular m.2 so ordered a m.2 and I was wrong this port only supported NVME.. but it was possible that it supported both and it was also possible that it only supported m.2 sata regular.. so call hp and find out what it supports hopefully it supports both m.2 reg and NVME because according to the crucial scan u have a regular m.2 not an NVME so if u can install an NVME that would be a nice upgrade..

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for your inputs! 

All the manuals stated that I have PCIe x2, while NVMe requires PCIe x4. 

Anyway decided to go ahead and give it a try.. 

Works a treat I would say! 

Untitled.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.