Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot get my fingerprint sensor to work anymore.  Since a recent Windows 10 update (about 2 weeks ago) my fingerprint sensor no longer works.  When I boot up the white light on it flashes, but when I try to swipe to log-in it doesn't do anything. No error messages telling me it doesn't recognize my fingerprint.  Just nothing.   I have to type in my password to log-in now.

I tried messing with the Windows Hello feature and I am finding it difficult to tell if it's setup correctly.  When I try to add a fingerprint it does not appear to be recognizing anything at all.  Although the fingerprint sensor flashes white at startup I have not noticed it flashing white once I get logged onto Windows - even if I'm swiping my finger across it.

The driver version for my Validity Sensor is 4.5.327.0.  My Windows 10 build is 17134.112.

I appreciate any light any of you can shed on the subject.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JCRoswell

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Excellent work so far, and Yes, Please follow this link https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-15-j100-notebook-pc-series/540118... and install the fingerprint validity sensor driver, and once done, check if you are able to setup the Windows Hello. 🙂

Let me know if it worked out. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JCRoswell

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the finger print reader. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

As of now, Let's try a few troubleshooting steps. 🙂

Goto control panel and then click on un-install programs. Look for finger print validity sensor, simple pass or anything related to finger print sensor and un-install them.

Once done, goto "device manager' and then scan for any hardware changes and windows will install the driver by itself.

Now, goto "sign in options" under settings, and you should be able to configure windows hello with the sensor.

This should do the trick for you.Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂  

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, Barachiel.  I unistalled both the HP Simplepass program and the Validity program.  Then I scanned for hardware changes in the device manager.  It appears that Windows did install a driver, but I get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark indicating that something is wrong.  The Device Status window indicates this:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

The driver that is installed is by Validity Sensors, Inc. and it's version 4.5.327.0.

I've rebooted once or twice just to make sure it wasn't some temporary issue, but the error is still there.  When I go into Settings to try to setup Windows Hello there is no option for the fingerprint sensor.  Just Password, PIN, and Picture Password.

I checked in the list of installed programs and I no longer have either the HP Simplepass or the Validity program.  Do I need to reinstall either of these?  Do I need to track down a different driver?

Thanks,

John

HP Recommended

@JCRoswell

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Excellent work so far, and Yes, Please follow this link https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-15-j100-notebook-pc-series/540118... and install the fingerprint validity sensor driver, and once done, check if you are able to setup the Windows Hello. 🙂

Let me know if it worked out. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bam!  It works!  Thanks so much for your help in getting this solved.  It's nice to have my fingerprint logon back.

John

HP Recommended

@JCRoswell

Great news! 🙂

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

As @Barachiel is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.

Take care! 

HP Recommended

Hi, since with this windows hello stuff update the fingerprint stopped working. Tried to disable the wind. hello but didn't manage.The device manager is ok, updated but when I try to configure the sensor I got a flash with a win hello window instead. Please advice (HP 430g4).

HP Recommended

i have same issue. i apply these methods but it wont work .

Spoiler

i have HP Envy TS 15 notebook PC, everything was fine before system give me update message with time for restart (fingerprint reader work very well before). After recommend some updates of window 10 fingerprint reader stop work

☻fingerprint reader don't blink 

☻in sign in option window hello fingerprint, it show a message ( we couldn't find scanner compatible with window hello fingerprint ).

☻ in Device Manager, Biometric  devices > validity sensors (WBF) (PID 0050)  there is a yellow triangle! not working sign i guess.

methods i applied to recover fingerprint is 

☺ in device manager i click option update driver but drivers is up to date

☺ i look for window update, i tun on window update but i found green tick  it is up to date.

☺ i uninstall validity Biometric from device manager and install back but wont work.

☺ i install simple pass but it wont work for fingerprint.

☺ i uninstall synaptic wbf fingerprint and reinstall it but it wont work.

please help me out, i will be glad to you.

please help me out 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.