Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Gaming Pavillion cx140tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Urgent help needed..I need to remove the back cover of my laptop so as to install an SSD however the back cover dosentdcome off after removing the 7 screws

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears to me that there are more than 7 screws to remove.

Here is the link to the service manual for the model series...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985643

HP Recommended

Make sure you remove all the screws. After that,  if its a full bottom cover (meaning one-piece) you will want to use a pry tool to release the clips that holds the bottom cover on. And go slow so you don't bust any of the clips.

HP Recommended

18A076E6-55EA-4581-916C-4422D9326E0C.jpegya sir thanks for replying..i had checked the manual beforehand however there are only 7 visible screws as far as i can see.Also there is virtually no gap between the cover and the remaining laptop. As per the manual i did try to pry open near the hinge however the spudger actually broke..its on the left. Luckily i was able to get it out by shaking the laptop (i mean the broken part of the spudger tool)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Interesting...according to the manual, chapter 5, page 36...

To remove the bottom cover:

Position the computer upside down with the front toward you.

Remove the six Phillips M2.0×13.0 screws (1) on the top half of the bottom cover.

Remove the three Phillips M2.0×5.0 screws (2) along the bottom of the bottom cover.

That's 9 screws.  The picture shows 4 along the front, 2 in the middle (labeled #1, and 3 in the back labeled #2.

Looking at your notebook, I don't see the two screws the manual shows in the middle.

So, unfortunately, I have no idea how you are going to get the back cover off that thing.

HP Recommended

I think that it should be possible 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuJ0rgSTS8&list=PLltbDVOQ8SFwf_Bd_3SmPzgVL-sfdTW1m&index=29&t=0s

In this video he has a similar model with only 7 screws but hes able to remove the back cover quite easily. Also what kind of spudger you you recommend sir?

How to teardown your HP Pavilion 15t (GTX 1060 Max-Q - 3GB) and perform basic upgrades, fixes and repairs. Best Prices Below: CUKUSA - Amazon -
HP Recommended

You're right.

He made it look simple.

Maybe you can use a guitar pick to get it started and then a more substantial item to separate the bottom cover.

Do you have any old credit cards?  Those make pretty good pry tools in a pinch.

Otherwise they sell notebook pry took kits online.

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Professional-Non-Abrasive-Spudgers-Anti-Static/dp/B01F52ZPBQ/ref=sr_1_1...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help sir..i did manage this however when i go towards the edge the clip manages to slide out. Also would using a metallic spudger help?2BADDF26-04AC-4ABF-94AB-83F337666C1A.jpeg

HP Recommended

It might, but those can damage the plastic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.