Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Paviilion g6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion g6 with a Processor (AMD A4-3320 M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.00 GHz)

Because of the speed of this processor I cannot upgrade this laptop to Windows 11.

If I wanted to replace the processor what would be my best choice of processor to upgrade sufficiently?

I'm looking to increase speed, make the laptop able to upgrade to Windows 11, be cost effective and fit right where the original came out from.  Please Advise 

leachimj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, W11 should install.

You can refer to this discussion where another forum member followed my guidance and successfully installed W11 on a different model HP notebook that does not have a TPM or a supported processor.

Solved: Re: hp pavilion g106nl cpu upgrade - HP Support Community - 8185271

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi:

There aren't any processors or motherboards that will make your PC capable of the in-place W11 upgrade.

Besides, there are more reasons the PC does not meet the W11 requirements:

It has no TPM 2.0 security device, and it may not support secure boot if it did not come from HP with Windows 8 or newer.

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

HP Recommended

Thank You Paul

If I did a clean install of Windows 11 my laptop would still be as slow as it is. I use it only in emergencies as it is synced with two other desktops thru One Drive. As long as the Pavilion g6 functions properly running Windows 10 after I upgrade the other two desktops to Windows 11 I'm  OK. I  was hoping I could increase the speed of a dated computer.

leahcimj

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if W11 will improve or decrease the performance of your notebook.

In the two PC's I have installed it on (one HP Stream 11 G4 notebook with a Celeron processor, and a HP Elite 8200 desktop with an intel i7-2600 processor), anecdotally, they seem to run a little better on W11 than they did on W10. The boot up a bit faster and the overall performance seems a bit faster.

However, I had tried the W11 beta on a HP Thin Client t630 with an embedded AMD processor (the thin clients were not designed to run a full fledged Windows operating system). 

It works OK on W10, but on W11, the performance was so poor, I had to reinstall W10.

Now it may be due to the version of W11 I was using was still in early development, and some bugs have been worked out.

I may try it again after a while.

I use the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images, so in the case of the thin client, I had it back on W10 with all of the programs and files it had in less than 10 minutes.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul

Please advise, how many GB flash drive would I need to make a copy of Windows 11?

How many GB flash drive to back up Windows 10 using Macrium software. I just booted up the laptop and I have 627 GB free of 673 GB,    Recovery (D:) 20.7 GB free of 20.8 GB,   HP_Tools(E:) 3.95 GB free of 3.95 GB?

Will a bootable W11 USB installer solve the no TPM 2.0 security device issue?

Also when I run a PC Health check there is a yellow exclamation next to the TPM 2.0, and a yellow exclamation ( This PC must support a Secure Boot) and a Red X  ( This Processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11).  All  other results are green checked.

I thank you for any advice and imput

leahcimj

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC must have originally come with W7, because PC's that come with W8 or newer support secure boot.

Your PC did not come with a TPM security chip.

You need an 8 GB USB flash drive to create the W11 installation media.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea how large a storage device you will need to create a system image with Macrium.

My Macrium system image file size on one of my PC's is 25 GB and that was backing up a total of 74 GB of hard drive space.

You can make the bootable Macrium rescue media with either a DVD or a 4 GB USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

Yes the laptop originally came with W7 but is now running Windows 10 Version 21H1

Will W11 load even though my PC did not come with a TPM security chip?

Again I appreciate all the imput.

leahcimj

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, W11 should install.

You can refer to this discussion where another forum member followed my guidance and successfully installed W11 on a different model HP notebook that does not have a TPM or a supported processor.

Solved: Re: hp pavilion g106nl cpu upgrade - HP Support Community - 8185271

HP Recommended

Good Morning Paul

I am awaiting delivery of a USB Flash Drive. 

Would I be correct to choose the second option from your link 

Create Windows 11 Installation Media

and will the process walk me through the installation?

leahcimj

HP Recommended

Good morning.

Yes, that is correct.  You want the second option on the W11 link and it will walk you through the installation.

Since you are doing a clean install on an old PC with no product key in the BIOS, you will have to select the version of W11 that is the same as the version of W10 you currently have installed (Probably W10 Home).

Then a screen or two later, you will be asked to enter a product key, or select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

You should select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Then the rest is pretty much automatic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.