Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The SDD on my Spectre went totally bad.  The boot files could not be restore using sophisticated backup.

I started to reinstall windows 10 and that will not install.  Seems to be that a partition also blew out.  

I only now have 2.

How do I wipe the entire SDD clean and reset all relevant partitions and then install windows 10?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@mg2720 

The only proper way to reset an SSD is using the hardware Secure Erase function that is supplied by the SSD manufacturer.

I have done this on several different SSD brands (Crucial, SanDisk, Samsung) and in all cases, the process was the following:

1) Remove the SSD from the original PC

2) Connect the SSD to the working PC

3) Remove ALL the partitions from the SSD using a partitioning tool

4) Reboot the PC

5) Open the SSD vendor tool and select Secure Erase.  This generally takes a couple of minutes or less to run because it is done entirely in hardware.

I have no idea what brand your SSD is, but all the major SSD vendors supply their own utilities to do this.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks.

The SSD is with the HP.

Isn't there a utility I can just use to do this via a USB?  If not, there should be, and one would think that HP would have or provide it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.