Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 17-e017dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I turn my laptop on and it says SMART Hard Disk failure. I ran the Diagnostic and it failed the test giving me this number and letter sequence : 689GHX-6T18T0-MFPWWK-609203. What do I do now? Is there an issue with the hard drive and it needs to be replaced?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Simple answer yes the hard drive is failing and will need replacing.  If you need to recover data from the drive try using an External Hard Drive along with a bootable copy of linux to copy your data from your Failing hard drive to your External Drive. 

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Simple answer yes the hard drive is failing and will need replacing.  If you need to recover data from the drive try using an External Hard Drive along with a bootable copy of linux to copy your data from your Failing hard drive to your External Drive. 

HP Recommended
Alright thanks. I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure before I did anything. Thanks again for responding.
HP Recommended

Not a problem.  Hard drives fail over time. Some sooner than others.  They are practky unpredictable until they start showing symptoms of a failing drive. AKA, corrupted files, OS no longer booting, etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.