Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Victus by HP Laptop 16-d1030np (6Q4F3EA)
FreeDOS

I have just acquired a Victus by HP Laptop 16-d1030np (6Q4F3EA), which came with FreeDOS installed:

https://www.hp.com/pt-pt/products/laptops/product-details/2101370808

I searched the internet for upgrading options and came across this HP webpage for a general 16-d1000 laptop:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/victus-by-hp-16.1-inch-gaming-laptop-pc-16-d1000/2101036104/doc...

I want to know what are my exact upgrading options in terms of RAM and SSD in order to maximize its capacities. Can I go up to 64GB of DDR5 RAM? What type of SSD can I use in the second drive slot (Gen. and capacity)? Please provide details in terms of technical specifications and not general answers. Note that I am not a gamer, I am a programmer doing number crunching and analysis of fairly large scientific data sets.

[EDIT] I am wrapping up the information gathered about this particular laptop:

- Maximum RAM: dmidecode run from a Linux Mint 21 Live USB session reports 128GB (probably not true as Intel reports a maximum of 64GB for a i7 12700H processor)

- Maximum SSD: the motherboard states "GEN 3" below the  secondary PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and "GEN 4" below the  primary PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP only has the maintenance and service guide for the older model series on your notebook's support page, so most of the info other than how to take the notebook apart would be out of date for your notebook.

Victus by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-d1000 Manuals | HP® Customer Support

The manual shows gen 4 SSD's are supported. 

Whether or not HP has upped the PCIe generation of the second slot to gen 4, no one would be able to provide that info.

I believe the secondary M.2 slot in the older model series is Gen 3.

The memory info in the manual is generally useless since it references 2 x16 GB of DDR4 memory is supported.

You can do this to see how much DDR5 memory your notebook can support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

The crucial memory report for the model series indicates that 2 x 32 GB of DDR5 memory is supported

HP - Compaq HP Victus 16-d1000 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP only has the maintenance and service guide for the older model series on your notebook's support page, so most of the info other than how to take the notebook apart would be out of date for your notebook.

Victus by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-d1000 Manuals | HP® Customer Support

The manual shows gen 4 SSD's are supported. 

Whether or not HP has upped the PCIe generation of the second slot to gen 4, no one would be able to provide that info.

I believe the secondary M.2 slot in the older model series is Gen 3.

The memory info in the manual is generally useless since it references 2 x16 GB of DDR4 memory is supported.

You can do this to see how much DDR5 memory your notebook can support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

The crucial memory report for the model series indicates that 2 x 32 GB of DDR5 memory is supported

HP - Compaq HP Victus 16-d1000 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Hi Paul Tikkanen,

thank you for your reply. I waited a couple more days hoping to see if someone from HP would come forward and add more information about the hardware. I would like to max out the capacity of the laptop, RAM for sure, and I would not like to spend money at my own risk. Do you think the suggestions from CRUCIAL are trustworthy? The MrMemory website gives me the same information (max. 64 GB DDR5 RAM).

HP Recommended

Hi pxcandeias

You should run the command as Paul_Tikkanen EXPERT Level 21 suggested. It's better than asking someone from HP,  you're actually asking your motherboard how much RAM it will allow.
Aside from that, I looked around a bit about the 16-d1000 laptops, and most companies that sell RAM (and don't just copy data off the HP site) give 64gb as the limit. In fact, one company I've never heard of called PHS memory even has a pdf stating this.......

HPVictus16-d1000.JPG

https://www.phs-memory.es/datasheetDownload.php?id=348480&locale=es_ES&shopid=5

I think that you're good to go!

HP Recommended

Hi TzortzisG,

thank you for your reply. Actually, the laptop came with FreeDOS so I will not be able to run the commands indicated by Paul Tikkanen yet. I was trying to gather as much information as possible about the hardware in order to perform the upgrade before installing any OS on it but I guess I will have to grab a spare USB flash drive to boot a live Linux session and run some CLI commands to find out.

HP Recommended

Right, my bad. You did say that it had FreeDOS in your first post.

Anyways, I think the chance that it won't run with 64gb is 0%. If it was my laptop I'd go ahead and purchase the ram modules. Most stores accept changes within a reasonable period of time, because you can never be sure if RAM modules are compatible, even when fully following specs. If, however, you want to run the commands first you can do that.

By the way, you should know that the OFFICIAL HP information concerning hardware is not always correct. For example, HP gave 16GB as the official MAX RAM on Kabylakes, whereas (almost) all of them are actually upgradeable to 32GB (2x16GB).

HP Recommended

Hi TzortzisG,

thank you again for your reply. I will come back in here after I am able confirm the maximum amount of RAM that can be used to upgrade this laptop. I am not marking this thread as solved until then.

HP Recommended

Hello,

here below is the output of the dmidecode as obtained from a Linux Mint 21 Live USB session. I gather that the maximum RAM capacity for this laptop is a whopping 128GB (currently has only 2x8GB). Thank you all for the assistance provided. I am marking this thread as solved.

Handle 0x0013, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 128 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x0014, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0013
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 8 GB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: Bottom - Slot 1 (left)
Bank Locator: BANK 0
Type: <OUT OF SPEC>
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 4800 MT/s
Manufacturer: Samsung
Serial Number: 02AF4C97
Asset Tag: 9876543210
Part Number: M425R1GB4BB0-CQKOL
Configured Memory Speed: 4800 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Not Specified
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 1, Hex 0xCE
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 8 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None

Handle 0x0015, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0013
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 8 GB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: Bottom - Slot 2 (right)
Bank Locator: BANK 0
Type: <OUT OF SPEC>
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 4800 MT/s
Manufacturer: Samsung
Serial Number: 02AF4C92
Asset Tag: 9876543210
Part Number: M425R1GB4BB0-CQKOL
Configured Memory Speed: 4800 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Not Specified
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 1, Hex 0xCE
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 8 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None

HP Recommended

This is definitely interesting. Thanks for the update Pxcandeias, this will most certainly help other users with Alder Lake HP laptops. Funny thing is that all the Intel spec sheets on the official intel pages give 64GB as the maximum RAM supported by the mobile 12th gen CPUs, and specifically the 12700H. I'll have to do some research.

Anyways, you should mark Paul_Tikkanen 's post as SOLUTION for pointing you in the right direction.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.