Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
for the HP Probook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to install SSD M.2. But I'm not sure, since there are 2 kinds of contacts. The one that I think is 80 mm long Samsung 960 Series (OEM) 256GB NVMe M.2 NGFF Pro SSD PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm - (PM961), the one that is 42 mm. 256GB NGFF M2 2242 SATA 

, Which fits in length, has a different contact than the slot into which it should be inserted.
Tell the experts which model of ssd m.2 I can use for the HP Probook 650 G1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help!!! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The 42mm you linked will work fine. M.2 disks come in a variety of types of "keys". You have "M" which is a 2 prong and is used on pcie/nvme disks. Your laptop willnot work with those. Then you have B + M which is a 3 prong connector and most commonly used on SATA M.2 disks. The thing that confuses many people is that all M.2s will fit in the same 2-chamber socket. The 3 prongs on a SATA M.2 disk will fit right into the 2 chambers in the M.2 port. See these pictures. Your M.2 SATA is obviously shorter in length (42 vs 80 mm) but this shows the connector type. 

M keyed PCIe/NVME 2280 M.2 diskM keyed PCIe/NVME 2280 M.2 diskSATA ONLY (3-prong)SATA ONLY (3-prong)

Post back with any more questions but please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanation! I correctly understood that both can be used for a slot in my laptop?

DSC08170.JPG

DSC08175.JPG

What is the difference in these modules, why are the contacts different?

NGFF-M2-SATA-SSD-256GB-for-Laptop-Notebook.jpg_220x220.jpgSamsung-SSD-m2-250-GB.jpg_220x220.jpg

HP Recommended

No yours supports the SATA M.2 disks only. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help!!! 

HP Recommended

Hi - I am trying to find an M2 SSD for the HP ProBbok 650 G1...can you please recommend one?

HP Recommended

Write, How many pieces do you need SSD M.2 and what capacity in GB?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.