Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 240 G7 Notebook PC (7JP01AV) - 3C059ES#ABV - i3 8130u
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Community,

Please advise if I can make my system hybrid (ssd + hdd - 1tb currently installed) by adding an SSD as below:

1.      M.2 SSD - 128/256gb

or 

2.      M.2 NVME PCIe - 256gb

as the product manual does not have any details about my current system i.e. i3-8130u supporting an SSD, however physically inspecting i do have a port on the motherboard which has a partition as below 29/4 pins

Thankyou in advance

IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06166181

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

Your notebook's M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSD's.

NVMe SSD's provide faster read/write speeds than SATA.

The manual does not show that dual drive configurations are supported, but it may just be that HP did not offer 2.5" drives and SSD combinations for that model series.

So, all I can recommend is to give it a try.

I do know that the notebook will not boot from the M.2 SSD if there is an operating system installed on the 2.5" hard drive.

I also recommend that you buy a M.2 SSD in a storage capacity large enough to suit your needs in case you can't use the 2.5" hard drive for storage.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

• Thanks for the quick reply, however the link for the manual you provided does not have my processer listed i.e. i3-8130u.

Hence I was unsure about it.

Secondly I will be installing the windows on the ssd for better performance and hdd as a backup/data storing.

Will my system still not boot?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome,

That is what I don't know...if your notebook's model series does not support dual drive configs, or if HP just didn't offer them in that model series.

If you don't have Windows on the 2.5" hard drive, in theory the notebook should boot from the SSD.

But I can't guarantee it.

The notebook will boot from the SSD if you don't have the 2.5" drive installed.

That is why I recommended buying a M.2 SSD where you can live with the storage size.

For example, if you are betting the 2.5" drive will work and you buy a 128 GB M.2 SSD and it doesn't work with the 2.5" drive, can you live with just 128 GB of space?

If not go with a bigger one.

I have the AMD 255 G7 and it has a 256 GB SSD but no hard drive, and I don't plan on adding one.

If in the unlikely event I need more space, I will buy a larger capacity M.2 drive.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

I am quite sure I can't live with a 256gb pcie, hence I will go for a 500gb.

Will that be ok?? Ad the manual says

"PCIe, NVMe, M.2 solid-state drives (8550U/8250U processors): 256 GB"

HP Recommended

Yes, that should be fine.

According to the Crucial memory/SSD report for the 250 G7, you can go as much as 2 TB.

Scroll down the page to see the list of supported NVMe SSD's.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/hp-250-g7-%28intel-core-i7--i5--i3%29

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.