Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 15s-gr0009au

My laptop (HP Laptop - 15s-gr0009au) already had 1 TB HDD, I want to know

1.What is the maximum SSD capacity I can add up to in the storage slot provided for the upgrade, "ALONG WITH MY 1 TB HDD" that I already had in my laptop?

2.What type of SSD is it that I can add, means which type does it support?

Please answer me with  full description, I am hearing different -different things , Everyone saying another thing. I am totally confused . "Please answer only If you are 100% sure about the information"!!!!!!!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types and configurations offered in the model series.

According to the manual notebooks in the model series came with NVMe SSD's up to 1 TB in storage capacity and 2.5" hard drives up to 2 TB in storage capacity.

On the models with dual drive configurations (2.5" HDD + NVMe SSD), it appears that they offered a 1 TB HDD + a 256 GB NVMe SSD.

In my opinion if they offered 1 TB NVMe SSD's and hard drives, I don't see why one could not install a 1 TB NVMe SSD and a 1 TB HDD.

But if you want to play it safe, go with what HP shows in the manual.   256 GB NVMe SSD + 1 TB HDD.

The PCIe generation your notebook supports is Gen 3.

Since notebook processors are integral parts of the motherboard you can look up the PCIe generation specs by looking up the processor specs on the AMD or Intel websites as applicable.

As you can see from your notebook's processor specs the PCIe generation is 3.0--shown under the Connectivity specification.

Ryzen™ 5 PRO 3500U Mobile Processor | Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphic | AMD

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types and configurations offered in the model series.

According to the manual notebooks in the model series came with NVMe SSD's up to 1 TB in storage capacity and 2.5" hard drives up to 2 TB in storage capacity.

On the models with dual drive configurations (2.5" HDD + NVMe SSD), it appears that they offered a 1 TB HDD + a 256 GB NVMe SSD.

In my opinion if they offered 1 TB NVMe SSD's and hard drives, I don't see why one could not install a 1 TB NVMe SSD and a 1 TB HDD.

But if you want to play it safe, go with what HP shows in the manual.   256 GB NVMe SSD + 1 TB HDD.

The PCIe generation your notebook supports is Gen 3.

Since notebook processors are integral parts of the motherboard you can look up the PCIe generation specs by looking up the processor specs on the AMD or Intel websites as applicable.

As you can see from your notebook's processor specs the PCIe generation is 3.0--shown under the Connectivity specification.

Ryzen™ 5 PRO 3500U Mobile Processor | Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphic | AMD

HP Recommended

That means it doesn't support 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD??

HP Recommended

I would think that it would support a 500 GB NVMe SSD + a 1 TB HDD.

As I wrote earlier...since HP offered a 1 TB NVMe SSD in the model series, so I don't know why a 500 GB NVMe SSD wouldn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.