Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx - 1JE93AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Liteon CA1-8D128-Hp 128 gb SSD that I have Windows 10 on and I was wondering if I could upgrade to a Seagate Firecuda 520 series 500GB Performance Internal SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe? The Firecuda has a M.2 2280-D2 and runs on a PCIe Gen4 ×4, NVMe form factor. By everything I've researched, I believe it will fit, but I wanted to make sure before I spent the money on upgrading my Omen. I'm really heavy into gaming so thought the Firecuda would be great for Windows and a game I play the most. I also have a Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM Barracuda that I want to upgrade to a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just don't want to spend the money on upgrades if I can't use them, trying to upgrade my Omen as much as I can. Processor and graphics card might be next! Thanks for any help given.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jcurtis856

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to upgrade the hard drive and the SSD on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

As per the service guide for your computer, the PCIe slot on your computer is PCIe Gen 3 and the SSD you want to install uses the PCIe Gen 4 interface. The SSD (If backward compatible) might work on the computer however, it may not perform to its full potential.

You can go ahead and install the SSHD on the computer and should work fine.

Below is the service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001792

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jcurtis856

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to upgrade the hard drive and the SSD on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

As per the service guide for your computer, the PCIe slot on your computer is PCIe Gen 3 and the SSD you want to install uses the PCIe Gen 4 interface. The SSD (If backward compatible) might work on the computer however, it may not perform to its full potential.

You can go ahead and install the SSHD on the computer and should work fine.

Below is the service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001792

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the reply.

I was looking at the Firecuda and realized it was a Gen4 and my Omen only support Gen3. I'm looking at SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S500B/AM. I believe it work with my Omen, but I'm not too sure. From the looks and specs I think it will.

I checked out the configurations and I can go max 512 GB M.2 SSD so this would work with my 1 TB Barracuda.

Could you perhaps recommend some better RAM for me? I was looking at Crucial Ballistix 32 GB PC 2666 RAM, but seen it supports XMP. From everything I've read if you're motherboard does not support XMP then it will only run at 2400 mhz, which is a waste of money to me. I also checked out some G. Skill Ripjaws that are PC-2666, but it says it Optimized Compatibility With 6th Gen Intel Processors, and where I have a 7th Gen, I wasn't sure how it would work. 

If you could check the 970 EVO Plus and recommend me some RAM for more speed for gaming, I'd be very grateful. 

HP Recommended

@Jcurtis856

Please refer to the service guide which I have shared and it has parts numbers for the RAM and the SSD which are tested on your computer and will work fine. However, if you wish to purchase 3rd party hardware you can definitely do that at your own risk as these are not tested by HP.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.