Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion - 15-bc200nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My notebook (Pavilion - 15-bc200nt) has a 1 TB  sata for files and 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD for operating system.  Yesterday my notebook would not boot capslock blinked 5 slow + 4 fast blinks and it would say there is no bootable drive ( 3F0).  And the F keys were very slow. 

I first thought there was a problem with bios so I upgraded the bios to the last version.  I also enabled legacy support etc...  But no luck. 

I also ran HP diagnostics tool. Although it recognized the 1 TB drive, and said there were no errors, the 256 GB ssd would not show up in the diagnostics.  Interestingly it shows up in bios. 

So I decided the problem was with the SSD and decided to format the notebook. I created a USB backup (UEFI) disk from HP cloud backup.  Plugged it in, but the loading Icon was in an endless loop after a few hours it gave a blue screen error (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION) which was also related with the ssd.  To check if this was indeed caused by the SSD, I removed it, leaving only the 1TB sata drive, and within seconds the windows recovery menu appeared. 

I also tried the connecting the SSd to another PC, the PC stuck on boot. So the problem is  definitely with the 256 GB ssd. 

So I need to replace it with a new one. But I could not find any info about the supported drives.  I searched around for answers, they were referring to the Maintenance and Service Guide but the link is dead (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05955459

I know the current drive is Samsung PM961 M.2 256GB ( MZVLW256HEHP-00000) With Host Controller Interface NVMe 1.1.  which is an old model, and difficult to find. The ones avaible in my country are the newer models. Most of them are NVMe 1.2. or 1.3. Would that be a problem?  While I am at it - Can I upgrade it to 500 or 512 GB, or is there no support for this ( I will continue to use it as a 1TB Sata + 512 GB M.2 SSD.

Another question is, as I will completely reinstall everything, how can I recover my Windows Key? Is it written somewhere? 

Thanks in advance. 

Best. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Any NVMe drive should work, such as the Samsung Evo 970.

Here is the link to the service manual...HP no longer has it for some reason, but this site does.

HP Pavilion Notebook PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP aut...

The W10 product key is in your notebook's BIOS so you don't need it, or even need to know what the key is in order to reinstall W10.

You have a couple of ways to reinstall W10...both will require you to have access to another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer on it.

Use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that uitlity.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

Clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion 15-bc200 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.