Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs234wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The upgrade to a 1080p FHD display worked and I was able to use the stock eDP cable, which does have 2-lane FHD support. See the final posts of this thread and my posts on notebookreview.com I link to for a lot more info. But basically, if you're willing to live with the very rare occasional black screen bug (which is rare, predictable and mostly avoidable, and can be 100% fixed with the ICC profile I mention), the NV156FHM-N4B is possibly the best possible display upgrade you can get for this laptop. It 's a 1200:1 contrast, 100% sRGB, great viewing angle 1080p IPS beauty of a display. I'm very happy with my use of it so far. I do believe there are other displays out there that would be compatible and not have any black screen bug but will be inferior to the N4B in most ways. I think the N4B is worth it despite the black screen bug. There are some people selling it on ebay that ship from the USA, or you can get it on aliexpress.

---------------------------------------

Original post:

Hello HP forum! I've seen threads relating to this problem but I have a couple questions for my situation that I've been unable to resolve.

My HP laptop model comes with the regular 1366x768 screen that I want to upgrade to a FHD 1080p screen, preferably with good contrast ratio and  color gamut. My laptop manual says that the FHD screen HP uses for this shell is part# 798933-011, but no original model number is provided. I'm not sure if the display cable I have (DC02002WZ00 rev 3.0) is FHD capable or if HP uses two different cables, but I've seen part# 682057-001 suggested as a usable FHD cable.

The first question is, what is the actual manufacturer model number of the FHD screen part# 798933-011? I want to know because I intend on finding a new screen that has a compatible pinout with the HP software/BIOS. Or if the HP screen has a descent color gamut I might just go with the HP one, but I really only see the upgrade being worth it if I get near full sRGB gamut and at least 800:1 contrast ratio.

I already made a post on another forum (forum here) excuse the Russian language since I wanted the people there to understand what I was saying. Chrome translate should work fine. Basically, I have been all over panelook.com but I've recently come to the realization that laptop manufacturers heavily customize the pinouts in the use of eDP output and eDP cables and that different screens also have different pinouts (as in, pin "x" could be a data lane on one motherboard/screen but ground on another).

It's very confusing and one problem is that half of the screens I'm interested in do NOT give access to the PDF data sheets for regular people. I've looked everywhere and asked as many people as possible and cannot get data sheets for the screens I'm actually dealing with. I'm very interested in the NV156FHM-N4B and B156HAN04.5 screens, both being decent 1080p displays. I also ordered another cable just in case (6017B0975601). My original HP screen is the B156XTN07.0 HW0A, so any screen that follows the same basic pinout as that I assume should work, and as long as the BIOS and cable have 2-lane capability.

I would really appreciate help in figuring out how to determine compatibility with any display or cable, or whether my current cable (DC02002WZ00 rev 3.0) is FHD capable or if I need a new one, and what the manufacturer model number of the HP spare FHD screen (part# 798933-011) is. The HP part number isn't enough to find the screen on panelook.com.

edit: Apparently the HP FHD # 798933-011 might be the B156HTN03.8, but It's hard to verify pinout because I can't get access to datasheets. If I could get datasheets for all of the displays listed in the post that would be incredibly helpful. Panel look says my original B156XTN07.0 HW0A screen uses the "EDP-30P1L-030K" pin configuration while the HP FHD probably uses "EDP-30P2L-020A". It's possibly both connectors are similar enough that any EDP-30P2L-020A screen will work with my stock motherboard and cable, but I am not sure. I don't need the webcam to work, just the screen to work with brightness adjust functionality. The B156HAN04.5 is also EDP-30P2L-020A.

Thanks for the help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Upgrading to a FHD 1080p display  on your notebook is actually not viable without changing the system board.

That is because the header on the system board that the display connects to is specifically for the lower resolution screen it was delivered with.

A FHD display's connector would not  physically fit in the header on your notebook's system board.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Could you explain specifically what is wrong about the header? Is it that the data pins for lane 2 are used for the webcam? The header has all 30-pins coming out of it and there are plenty of 30-pin 1080p displays out there. And I've read that the Pentium N5000 iGPU is compatible with eDP 1.4.

The cable I have coming in the mail, while may not have the same type of fit in the port, will still fit because the pins are the same, maybe with a bit of modding to make it thicker and stay tight. The original cable has wires where both data pairs for lanes one and 2 would be, but I still don't know if the extra pair goes to the 6-pin to the web cam or if they are soldered but unused by the screen. The thing is that I looked at the cable and only counted 22 of the pins being connected with wiring, so I'm not even sure if 14 pins is enough for just the display assuming one of the pairs is unused. If it's for the webcam, then it means 16 pins are used for the display and 6 for the webcam.

https://imgur.com/a/aWrMcFF

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
HP Recommended

Chances of a FHD display fitting the lower resolution display header on your notebook's system board are next to none.

With a notebook PC you get the display that you chose and it was delivered with and you can't upgrade it.

It isn't an open architecture design like a desktop PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Let's assume I find a way to make the connector fit and then move on to the rest of the discussion.

I uploaded the link to my current connector on imgur. You can see only 22 of the pins have wires. https://imgur.com/a/aWrMcFF

I might have labeled some of my lines wrong here. Like, is pin 24 actually connected and if so is that being used for the 6-pin connector or for an H-Sync pin at pin 24, even though my datasheet shows not connected at the 24-pin?

I was also able to get datasheets for all of the screens I need.  Here are pinout screen shots:

xtn.jpghan4.5.pngn4b.PNG

What I can see is the pins mostly matchup, but the NV156FHM-N4B model has an H-Sync pin at 24 and my original B156XTN07.0 screen has both pin 1 and pin 30 occupied by "DCR_Enable" and "CM_Enable". I don't know what those mean but I would appreciate it if someone knew.

Edit: Quick update. I just opened up my display bezel again and looked into the end that goes into the monitor. It looks like the cable is sending 19 pins to the display. I will update with an image similar to the last one soon.

Edit: It's difficult to figure out exactly which wires are connected where so here is the base image first of all. What I believe this does say though is that neither pin 1 nor pin 30 are being used, so I don't think I need to worry about that:

newPinDisplay.jpg

Pin 22 cannot be ground so that provides a frame of reference for the three silver wires, which must all be ground because they are exposed to each other. That means they represent pins 19, 20 and 21. Ground at pin 18 is not connected.

This image is what I believe is the correct wiring: https://imgur.com/a/D5QvJS9

So I think my alignment is wrong so I'll keep looking at it.

If my connections are correct, it may mean the stock cable can send a FHD signal. Whether the BIOS is equipped to do so I'm not sure, but again the UHD 605 iGPU on the Pentum N5000 supports eDP 1.4 (equivelant to DP 1.2) which does support FHD. Based on looking at how the ground wires should all look like, I feel like that silver-redish looking wire above the white one is actually at pin 8 and not 9, which would make the rest of wiring make a bit more sense since pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 would all be used with pin 1 unconnected. But either way, whether it starts at pin 2 or 3, it seems like the wires are there for 2-lane FHD. I just don't know exactly how the wiring may change places at either end of the plug when thinking of how ground wires connect and how the 6-pin is setup for data and power.

Edit: I really want the NV156FHM-N4B but I need to know if pin 24 "H-Sync" needs to be connected for the panel to work properly, since my cable doesn't connect to pin 24. If it doesn't then I can probably pop it right in with the stock cable and it should work fine. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it!

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
HP Recommended

I wish for you the best of luck in your endeavor.  It is beyond the intended scope of this forum.

HP Recommended

The upgrade to the NV156FHM-N4B display worked!  Important info on compatibility issue with this display and laptop model: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/my-interesting-path-in-panel-upgrading-finding-the-the-boe-n...

Stock eDP cable works fine. Brightness control works and 1080p 60Hz/144Hz work also. No extra noticeable lag compared to stock screen. For warning though, you will have issues with the screen going black if you go too high of a brightness, especially at 144Hz. It will also occasionally give a black screen if too much of the screen has a saturated color as I described in my posts on notebookreview.com. This is probably because the laptop and eDP cable were designed for the lower power stock screen.  You can fix the black screen issues by going to color management, and calibrating display and lower each color slider by about 25 notches, and use the ICC profile. 

After a couple weeks using the new display I'm fine with the occasional black screen bug. It only happens with the rare website that has a lot of solid red/blue/ etc or an occasional YouTube video with some frames with a high amount of saturated colors. I can go hours without it happening once so it's a pretty rare bug, but when it does happen be prepared to alt-tab to another window to see what you're doing. My adblocker allows me to block parts of websites permantently even after I reloaded them, so I can block the solid color banners on the problem websites. I would say about 1% of websites will have trouble so again it's extremely rare and can be fixed with the ICC profile if desired despite the luminance range being decreased.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.