Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop 411-a024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP Slimline Desktop 411-A024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)
HP Slimline Desktop 411-a024. It comes standard with 2 slots for RAM. This is a mini-pc so it uses the smaller laptop ram. The PC comes stock with 1 4gb stick of ram found in slot 1. 

Upon attempting to add an additional stick into slot 2, the computer lights will turn on and the hard drive will spin as if booting up, but no connection will be made to the monitor. At first I thought it was the RAM upgrade, but that proved not to be the case due to the fact that the 2nd stick of RAM works just fine in slot 1, and the original RAM that came with the PC does NOT work if placed in slot 2. In fact, if ANY piece of RAM is placed into slot 2, the computer is unable to establish a connection with the monitor. Additionally, if slot 1 is left empty, and RAM is placed in slot 2, the same error occurs.

I've checked the BIOS settings, and I see no relevant settings for activating the 2nd slot of RAM. I also don't see any switches or problems on the motherboard itself causing problems, and I haven't been able to find someone with this exact problem online for this PC. That being said, this problem must be common due to the fact that upon not being able to succeed in making the RAM upgrade. 

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone offer advice on this? It would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Definitely the second slot did not work. I tried the new 8G on both and it only takes on slot one. It is incredible that this HP came from factory with a non working slot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You are doing nothing wrong and you have done a very admirable job of troubleshooting using basic logic. A bad memory slot is an uncommon but not unheard of mode of motherboard failure. You can install a single 8 gig module to upgrade to 8 gb using one slot. It uses DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM as you already know. The second memory slot should "just work". You have excluded any issue of compatibility. You would have to replace the motherboard if you must have 2 memory slots. The only very long shot thing you could try is to blow out the second slot with compressed air. Sometimes when a computer sits around, dirt or dust can get in the slot. This is very unlikely to work, but costs nothing to try.  

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks for your reply. I thought the same you had mentioned (dirt on the second slot) although I cleaned it before trying it several times, I did it again obtaining the same results (slot 2 does not work). Is funny how this mobo come with two slots from factory but only one works. I have returned the 4G and purchased an 8Gig one to try it on the first.

HP Recommended

Definitely the second slot did not work. I tried the new 8G on both and it only takes on slot one. It is incredible that this HP came from factory with a non working slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.