Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j078ca Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently added a new SSD drive to my laptop (HP ENVY TouchSmart 17") but the drive is not detected in the BIOS and doesn't show up in the Disk Manager or in the File Explorer.

The cable seems to be working fine as I tried it on the regular (main drive) and it works fine for it,

I cannot do anything to enable the drive in the BIOS as I don't seem to have access to any advanced options (locked or non-existent on my laptop).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@pani0202 

It specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04085233

It has  1TB hybrid hard drive (1TB 5400RPM + 8GB NAND) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection now. The series supports 2TB+2TB, 750GB+750GB. I don't think the second slot was disabled. Please try to re-seat the seoncd drive properly and make sure the SATA port is connected with a cable.

hdd2.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've done all this. The new SSD drive was connected properly in the second slot but for some reason, it's not recognized by my laptop and there no place in the BIOS to make any adjustments (if needed).

I also tried connecting the original drive (the 1TB one) in slot 2 and when I do that it's not recognized either, so i'm wondering if the second slot is somehow disabled. Is there a way I can enable it? As I said, there's no place in the BIOS I can do that (or check whether it's disabled).

Any other ideas

HP Recommended

Hello, not sure if anyone else has any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello, I'm bumping this up as I'm still trying to find a helpful reply to my original question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.