Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello:

For some reason, the Service Host: Windows Biometric Service CPU usage stuck at 18% and fingerprint sensor won't work.

If I reboot the computer the fingerprint sensor works the first time, but after that it will not work anymore.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's a quick update - it's right after my last post because it didn't take long to reboot and test.

I'm going to tempt fate and say that I think it's working on my machine - in a way... I'll describe what I did and you can see if it makes sense.

1. In device manager I uninstalled the Biometric Device "Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)". I checked the option to delete the files.

2. I did a "Scan for hardware changes" from the Action menu - and it found an unknown device.

3. I asked Windows to Update Driver (rather than using HP Recovery Manager) - although it settled on Validity Sensors, Inc. Driver version 4.5.327.0 - which I think was the same as before anyway. (so I don't know if steps 1-3 are important.

4. I used Apps and features to remove HP SimplePass - and I let it reboot afterwards as it requested.

5. I should add that I had also previously unchecked the box allowing Windows to control the power management features of this device - after reading some posts from people updating from Win8 to Win10, but this didn't make any difference on its own.

6. Most unusually I thought after doing this I was able to use my fingerprint to log in again. I was then able to use my fingerprint to log in after locking the workstation with Win-L, and also after hibernating and waking from sleep.

If this keeps working then this will do for me - I didn't store any website passwords with SimplePass anyway, although if this is a feature that you use then I'm sorry that this isn't going to work the same as before. I'm sure someone will patch something soon...  

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Emmanuel6, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand finger printer sensor is not functioning correctly on your PC.

Don't worry I' love to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Do you get any error message when you use the fingerprint on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try disabling Windows Error Reporting tool, perform the steps discussed below:

Press Win+R to open the Run dialog box.
Type control and press Enter to open the Control Panel Window.     
In the Control Panel window, double-click System and Maintenance.
Click Problem Reports and Solutions to open its corresponding window.
Click Change Settings that is listed in the left panel.
Click Advance Settings.
Click Off to disable Windows Error Reporting.

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options
Create a PIN and HP simple pass should work. 

Also, if the issue still persists uninstall and reinstall the HP simple pass software using HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know how to install drivers from recovery manager.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for answering.

I think this started to happen after I updated windows to the latest version (Windows Creator).

There were no hardware changes to my laptop (we are talking about the integrated fingerprint sensor).

The product number is M9X68AV.

There are no error messages when I try to use the fingerprint sensor, it just doesn't work. I already created a PIN code and I'm using that, but I would really like to use the fingerprint sensor again.

The only error message happens if I try to STOP the Windows Biometric Service on the Service console. It says: "Windows could not stop the Biometric Service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error.  This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persist, contact your system administrator."

Thanks for your help!!

HP Recommended

@Emmanuel6, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

In the search box type services.msc and press Enter

Locate Windows Biometric Service observe his current status and open to make changes

From General tab you can Start/Stop and change the Windows Biometric Service.

To finish press ok button and close Services window

Type regedit and press Enter

Please confirm User Account Control pop-up

Please navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WbioSrvc 
and locate Start registry key

Double click on Start and edit the value:

Change Startup type :

Automatic - 2
Manual - 3
Disabled - 4
Automatic (Delayed Start) - 2 

Note: When you change to Automatic (Delayed Start) a new key DelayedAutostart is created with value 1.
When you change to Automatic from Automatic (Delayed Start), DelayedAutostart change value to 0.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a wonderful day ahead!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not want to turn it off, I want to make it work 🙂

In my previous post I said:

The only error message happens if I try to STOP the Windows Biometric Service on the Service console. It says: "Windows could not stop the Biometric Service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error.  This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persist, contact your system administrator."

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @Emmanuel6,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are still having the issue with the Biometric service, I just wanted to check if you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP simple pass using Recovery manager and if you have tried could you please post the results of the troubleshooting steps for further assistance.

If the issue persists and if it's critical you can try going back to the previous built or you could wait for the next update to be released by Microsoft or HP. 

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

So I went to HP Support and downloaded the latest version of HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software (8.01.62 Rev.A) since I had an older version, but the problem still happens. I noted that the Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver that I have is 4.5.289.0 and the latest on the site is 4.5.327.0 but I can't seem to be able to install it. Running the update does not seem to work. Why?

All in all, the fingerprint sensor will work the first time after restarting the computer, but not after I lock it or it goes into sleep.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Ok, so I reinstalled the Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver 4.5.289.0 and updated the BIOS from F.35 to F.36. And now it seems to be working fine... I'll keep on testing and report if it is Ok.

Thanks!

Edit: Nope... still not working after I lock (Win+L) my computer... :Crying:

Weird thing is that the fingerprint sensor light turns on unexpectedly, like waiting for a fingerprint... but putting my finger on does nothing.

HP Recommended

@Emmanuel6, thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

I glad after updating the validity fingerprint driver and BIOS fixed the problem.

If you have any concerns in future you can always reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What do you mean?... read the edit... it's still not working... I don't know what else to try... any ideas?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.