Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Emmanuel6, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Uninstall the biometrics driver from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manger.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Expand Biometrics.

Right click validity drivers and click uninstall.

Restart your PC.

And install the drivers using the HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know to install drivers using HP recovery manager.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would like to tie my hitch to this thread as I'm having the exact same problem with my HP Envy 13-do61sa since the Windows anniversary update a few days ago.

The first log in after a reboot seems to work, accepting my fingerprint to log in, however after a resume from sleep - hibernate - or simply after locking the pc I have the same problem as the original poster.

Wiping my finger over the reader causes the white LED to blink with no other results, pretty much as it always did since it was new (it came with Windows 10 out of the box), this was always what happened apart from the first log in after a clean boot where it would work properly. I always had to help the log-in process by hitting a key (usually cursor down or right key) - and then i could swipe my finger and get in.

Now since the Windows update on subsequent log-ins (after the first clean log-in) the white light still blinks until I hit a key, and after hitting a key the reader will no longer blink when I run my finger over it - I must now change the log in type to 'password' with the mouse (which is a new step I didn't have to do before the Windows update) and use my password.

Once I'm into Windows I can see in the task manager the exact issue described in the subject topic - and I have to terminate the service host to stop my fans spinning up and the battery discharging too fast.

I have just tried all of the steps recommended in this thread, apart from the bios update - but I had already removed and reinstalled the simplepass software to version 8.01.53, and then allowed it to perform a live update. 

I just tried uninstalling (and checking the optional delete file box) the fingerprint reader driver, and reinstalling it using HP Recovery manager as suggested most recently. After the reboot the results were the same; the initial log in worked fine but after locking Windows I couldn't use my finger to log-in and the process appeared to lock up again.

I'm sure there'll be an update that fixes this problem soon, and I hope to hear about it right here.

Lee

HP Recommended

I followed the steps to un-install the biometrics validity sensor, but every time I restart my computer the driver is again there, even if I check the box for "delete drivers" when I un-install it. I proceeded to re-install the drivers from the HP Recovery Manager anyways and the problem still presists.

The behaviour is exactly as the other person posted. The first time it works fine, but after I lock the computer, the sensor light is on as I pass my finger but nothing happens; and when I click on the lock screen the sensor lights turn off and does not work anymore and I have to use an alternate method to log in.

HP Recommended

@Lee333, @Emmanuel6, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please uninstall the software using Revo uninstaller and try installing the drivers again and check if it helps.

Also, try installing the validity finger printer driver and check if it helps.

Link to update the validity drivers.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Using Revo Uninstaller I can't remove drivers, only programs, so I can't uninstall the validity finger printer driver with this tool.

I did download the latest driver from the link you provided (Lenovo? Really? No HP link?) and installed it, but it did not do any difference.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

@Emmanuel6, It's great to hear from you again. 

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

Since we have exhausted with all the stepsI would suggest you try performing a system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform system recovery on your PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, but that is not an acceptable solution. I need to work from this computer and I don't have the time to do a full recovery. Is there anyway a real person can check on this?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Emmanuel6, thanks for your response and time.

Since we have exhausted with the steps, And since you are not willing to perform a system recovery.

I would suggest you can try performing a system restore and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

Note: System restore does not erase any files on your PC.

If the issue still persists you have to perform a recovery on your PC.

Also, you can contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem.....

HP Recommended

Hi @Ruslan_,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having issues with Windows Biometric Service stuck at 18% and sensor won't work. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number and Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Do you get any error message when you use the fingerprint on your PC?

I would suggest here is to start off by uninstalling and reinstalling the HP simple pass using Recovery manager. 

Next thing, I would also suggest here is to update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please reply to this post with the details and the results of the troubleshooting steps suggested for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.