Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP-Pavilion-dv7-3085dx-Entertainment-Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Dear Friends,
Trust all is well...

When i'm typing and I try to make a Capital letter by touching the Shift key and the associated letter..more often than not I get a lower case letter. I have to go back and tap the Shift key again and the same letter. Once I do tap on any given letter and try to retype it the letter does come back as a capital usually.

I've turned off/unchecked Sticky keys and I've removed the key and cleaned underneath it. I also made sure all the screws on the bottom of the laptop were snug and tight. Nothing seems to help.
Any help would be deeply appreciated at this time.
Have a great day ahead.

Sincerely, Raphael

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

If you have an external keyboard then disable the internal keyboard and check if shift keys works. 

Alternatively, you can try to check the keyboard functions in Command prompt

1.) Turn off the computer.
2.) Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
3.) Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.
4.) Under I'd like to identify any problems, click on Run Computer Checkup.
5.) Now select the radial button next to Open a Command Prompt and then click on next.
6.) In the Command Prompt Windows please type and check the functionality of all the keys if not then it's for sure hardware issue. 

Let me know how it goes!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You!
The F11 key only opens the Window start options. 

Can't access Recovery Manager.
Not sure how to disable  internal keyboard?
I'm NOT going to reinstall the OS.

Please Advise.

Raphael

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, @ABHenry,

In this scenario, Please follow the steps below to disable the internal keyboard. 

• Go to your laptop's start menu.
  • Type “device manager” and press enter.
  • Click on device manager.
  • Locate the keyboard in Device Manager.
  • Click on the “+” sign to access a drop-down menu to disable keyboard driver.

Once done, connect an external USB keyboard and check if that works. 

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you and have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You Jeet!
I just ran a SFC Scannow and I'm running a CheckDisc. As soon as that finishing I'll try the remote Keyboard.
I'm wondering if its just that Key IIRC when I press on it fairly firmly it will print w Caps.
What about renaming the key to another one that we know is working?
Isn't there any other method to check key functioning?
Lets try and keep this as simple as possible.Z

Sincerely, Raphael

HP Recommended

Update!Device Manager.jpg
On any of those Keyboard options if I right click it> Properties. None of them offer to Disable the driver. It is greyed out.
Update, Uninstall, Scan for Hardware changes and Properties are the options.
If I go into Properties>Driver. Disable is greyed out there as well.
Whats next Jeet?

HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

Just wanted to check have you tried to connect an external keyboard and check if that works. 

Alternatively, you can try to use On-screen keyboard and see if the issue persists. 

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!
When the Shift key malfunctions once.. the next time you tick the same letter it prints as a capital as it should most of the time.

Its not like the key doesn't function it's just doesn't respond perfectly. At this point and due to the age of the computer I am not going to put a lot of Time or money into it.
I'm considering buying a New Hinge, Key and Cup if I can find them. Rather than replace the entire Keyboard.That is where I sense the issue is > the keyboard and key. 
Do you have a link for replacement Hinge/Key/Cup? Or a Keyboard of exact replacement?
I plugged the USB external key board  in and it installed its own driver and it didn't *seem* (?) to malfunction??!
I do appreciate all your help.
Sincerely, Ralph

HP Recommended

@ABHenry,

This definitely looks like a possible hardware failure. In this scenario, I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team. 

HP Support team can be reached on this link.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Take care and have a great day!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You!
I'm considering buying a New Hinge, Key and Cup if I can find them. Rather than replace the entire Keyboard.That is where I sense the issue is > the keyboard and key. 
Do you have a link for replacement Hinge/Key/Cup? Or a Keyboard of exact replacement?

I'm nearly 100% certain HP cannot supply any of the above. Waste of time...

Spoiler
Do you have a link?

Best, Ralph

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.