Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-D010CA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
My laptop failed to boot a while back, it's off warranty. It passes the hardware diagnostics memory test and SMART Check, but fails the Short DST at about 40%.

Failure ID: 6366-73S89V-MFKR61-60SU03
Product ID: F5Y12UA#ABL

When I boot it goes to a screen that reads: "Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press <Enter> to Continue." when I press enter the computer turns off. I think the hard drive has failed, I tested it's connection and that changed nothing. I am thinking I will replace the hdd with a similar SATA 2.5" hdd or ssd. Is this the right move, or am I incorrect.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Sadly to say the 24 character failed id normally means HDD on your machine is dead or nearly there. If you could still can access to it, please backup data/files as soon as possible and prepare for new hard drive to replace it. Otherwise, too late and replace your HDD.

Is it still under warranty ? If yes, you can contact HP o replace HDD for your machine.

SSD is more expensive than HDD, there is something in between called SSHD but but replace HDD with SSD is a right move.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

Sadly to say the 24 character failed id normally means HDD on your machine is dead or nearly there. If you could still can access to it, please backup data/files as soon as possible and prepare for new hard drive to replace it. Otherwise, too late and replace your HDD.

Is it still under warranty ? If yes, you can contact HP o replace HDD for your machine.

SSD is more expensive than HDD, there is something in between called SSHD but but replace HDD with SSD is a right move.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.