Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14-cd0211nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

About half a year ago my girlfriend bought a HP Pavilion x360 - 14-cd0211nb laptop.

Since a few months ago she started notice that some keyboard keys sometimes were not working. 

This was during the writing of her thesis, so we decided to look into this when this was over.

Over time, the problem started spreading to more keys, until now, where 2 complete 'columns' of the keyboard do not seem to work most of the time. Only when we press one of the keys rapidly after each other or very hard, the part starts working again for half a minute or so.

We use AZERTY layout and the keys that do not work are:

6 Y H N and 7 U J ? 

This pattern seems to resemble 2 vertical columns of the keyboard. These 2 colums also seem like the 2 most central columns on the whole keyboard.

For this reason I suspect that either some copper traces on the keyboard pcb aren't good or that the pcb is slightly bent, resulting in the keys not being able to touch the contact points on the pcb.

A work-around is using an external keyboard or the on-screen keyboard, but this is no solution for the problem.

I think the best solution would be to bring the laptop back to the store for reparation, but within 2 weeks we are leaving for a longer vacation and for a lot of practical reasons we would very much like to take this laptop with us. Due to this, I was wondering if there was something I could do myself instead, without voiding the warranty. I work in the electronics sector and have some experience with pc building, so I'm not entirely new to pc hardware.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cmoers

I suggest you run a Keyboard Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Keyboard

If the Test fails, I suggest you contact HP Support and they will let you know all the Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.