Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This Spectre 13-4002dx has windows 8.1 64 bit installed and the following hardware:

-  2.2GHz 5th generation Intel Core i5-5200U CPU

- Microprocessor Cache : 3MB L3 Cache
    - On-board 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    - Intel HD graphics 5500
    - 256GB solid-state drive

- 2x2 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth

It is working fine and satisfies all the user needs.  I’m thinking of installing  Windows 10 only because there hasn’t been any updates to 8.1 for a while and I am concerned about security issues.   I have two questions:

* It does have whatever security protection Comcast Xfinity provides.   If Xfinity is providing security updates for 8.1 should I be concerned that it is not enough protection?
*. Is this system capable of running Windows 10 efficiently?   I don’t want to take something that has satisfactory performance and turn it into a slug.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @GPag 

There are Windows 10 drivers for that model, so W10 should work fine.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You can upgrade the notebook for free to W10 and see how it works, by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If W10 does not perform up to snuff, then you have 10 days to go back to W8.1 according to this link.

Go back to Windows 8.1 (microsoft.com)

Internet Security provided by Comcast won't be an issue, but Microsoft will be ending support for W8.1 next year (January 10, 2023).

That could be a potential problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@GPag --  there hasn’t been any updates to 8.1 for a while and I am concerned about security issues.  

That is not a correct statement.

Microsoft will issue  the FINAL set of security updates to Windows 8.1 on January 10, 2023 -- 11 months from now.  

Is this system capable of running Windows 10 efficiently?  

I don’t want to take something that has satisfactory performance and turn it into a slug.

After that date in next January, you won't have a choice. To use an operating system that Microsoft will support until October 2025, you will need to upgrade to Windows 10. I doubt that your computer is "ready for Windows 11".

HP Recommended

Hi, @GPag 

There are Windows 10 drivers for that model, so W10 should work fine.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You can upgrade the notebook for free to W10 and see how it works, by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If W10 does not perform up to snuff, then you have 10 days to go back to W8.1 according to this link.

Go back to Windows 8.1 (microsoft.com)

Internet Security provided by Comcast won't be an issue, but Microsoft will be ending support for W8.1 next year (January 10, 2023).

That could be a potential problem.

HP Recommended

Great information, thank you.  I’ll try the Windows10 update.  If it works then I can get a few more years of OS support.  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There's even a way to install Windows 11 on there once you are sure that W10 works fine.

See this discussion...

Solved: Re: Upgrade CPU Intel 7 to intel 8 - HP Support Community - 8300175

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.