Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My motherboard caught on fire today too in the middle of work.  

Before opening the laptop up, I called HP and the support rep told me it would be a flat fee of 700 dollars to fix my computer, not even knowing what was wrong with my laptop.  So obviously I wasn't paying a flat fee to fix an undiagnosed problem, and, the last thing i want is this thing catching on fire at home or while travelling and putting me out of work.  .  I brought it into my local shop.  They opened it, and we saw the burnmark on the motherboard and the sticker burned like in the picture posted.   I called HP support and pointed out that a 2 yr old "top of the line" laptop shouldn't be catching on fire, and they told me there was nothing they could do, even though they admitted the "end of life" for their laptops is 4 years.  I have an 8 year old HP laptop that never has had any problems, now i have this "top of the line" spectre and it's spontaneously combusting after 2 years, and HP is not willing to stand behind their products.

Part of the reason I bought HP was because they had a good reputation for customer service, but after this widespread spectre issue, and the batteries catching on fire, not sure anymore.  Those Dells are looking better and better!

Unless they admit this is a product default and replace it I'll be taking this laptop to my IT department, who has traditionally procured HP laptops for our offices, and making sure to let others know of this extreme problem that's gone uncorrected.    

HP Recommended

Keep trying, they finally came thru for me as they should have received my laptop today for repair! A moderator on this board should give your issue to a case manager.

HP Recommended

I bought my wife an X360 and then one night, a few months after the warranty finished, she said that it went off and there was a burning smell and it has never powered on since. I have purchased and replaced, in turn, the power connector, the battery and the power brick but no joy. I have also been trying to get a hold of a system board as that's the last thing it could be but they're as rare as hen's teeth.
I've since noticed all the posts regarding this issue on the forum and am raging that I've spent all that money trying to fix a 'known issue' and i'm now facing the very real prospect of having to replace it!
HP quality is usually good but this time they've let me down big time!!!!

HP Recommended

I must say to just keep trying. Once a case manager gets assigned to your case, they will run with it. They assigned me a case manager by the name of Lisa and she was just fantastic! Always called me on the phone and gave me updates on what will happen next in the process. I had a return box sent to my home, I packaged it up, sent it via FedEx and I had it back in less than a weeks time!! Customer service is first rate once they determine that they will support your issue! Now hopefully this motherboard will last longer than the other one did without catching on fire!! I sure hope they rectified the issue with them and didn't just provide a quick fix for awhile.

HP Recommended

Update on my case:

I was contacted by the complaints department of germany, and I was told that "We assume that it is a regular defect because the unit works about a longer time without any issue." Therefore, I would have to pay to solve the issue.

I had told the representative that after overheating (constant resets) and not charging anymore (ever), the computer had worked for an hour until the battery fully depleted. Obviously, it turned itself into a completely dead equipment.

So, the technical representative of HP tells me that I have to replace the failing motherboard for almost 400 euros, but for the complaints department this is a "regular defect" because the laptop kept working until the battery was fully depleted.

I cannot believe my bad luck buying such bad quality laptop, and receiving such a terrible customer support.  I hope that someone in this forum makes the representatives in Germany give me a proper solution.

HP Recommended

Seems like my last post telling that the Spectre x360 of 2015 is the worst tech purchase I have ever done was erased. Fantastic. It would be great if HP would put such a big effort in doing quality control in their machines.

HP Recommended

My laptop is doing the same thing as you described it’s only a year old and I’ve used it maybe 10 times just to search internet or write papers always taken care of it and they said my warranty was up 58 days ago but the mother board is the issue according to support by what I described and after trying the reset it’s ridiculous we bought it December 2018 and it was supposed to be the best one they had, all I got offered was a discount on the repair for my laptop? It’s disappointing because I’ve always bought HP and never have had an issue and now I do with my expensive computer.. 

HP Recommended

My laptop is doing the same thing as described it’s only a year old and I’ve used it maybe 10 times just to search internet or write papers always taken care of it and they said my warranty was up 58 days ago but the mother board is the issue according to support by what I described and after trying the reset it’s ridiculous we bought it December 2017 and it was supposed to be the best one they had, all I got offered was a discount on the repair for my laptop? It’s disappointing because I’ve always bought HP and never have had an issue and now I do with my expensive computer.. 

HP Recommended

@Hg0708

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.