Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Solved! Opened Task Manager, saw that HP Support Solutions Framework was using more than 80% of CPU capacity all the time. Killed that task, machine cooled quickly, fan went off, now all is well...

HP Recommended
  1. Thanks for that confirmation about killing the HP Support Solutions Framework.  This was also mentioned several times early on in postings.  It may be that I'm not running that task because it wasn't included in my Microsoft Signature Edition machine. Even so, mine was blazing hot until I updated the BIOS. Others here killed McAffee. I can't figure out why several different things caused the overheating and cured it when those things were changed. 

I'd say there isn't any really definitive solution other than to try all the suggestions, one of which might work; and finally to reach out to HP Support for a fix. 

HP Recommended

You know, on Windows my laptop fan is always going crazy, but on Linux it's nice and quiet and doesn't constantly overheat. I love this laptop but unfortunately that's just what happens. Windows is a resource-grubbing hog.

HP Recommended

I got exactly the same problem. Because of the super slim design it gets hot quite fast if the cpu is under great load, especially when I am charging the laptop gets enormously hot. For the last few weeks it became worse though: the fan was on full speed all the time and the laptop got hot right from the start. After a quick lookup on the internet i found a good tip: a process might run wild - thats what it was: a windows task caused the cpu to constantly run on 70% load.

If you have the same problem HERE is a link to a webpage that provides a solution for this problem. (sorry for the fact that the page is in german)

Hopefully i could help you!

HP Recommended

"keep high memory tasks to a minimum and run only when needed" -- this is definitely not acceptable when you buy a top of the line laptop for $1500. If the system is not designed to take these loads, it should be priced appropriately - sub $500. 

HP Recommended

I upgraded my bios to F.34 and now the laptop is much cooler. You must pause bitlocker if you have it in order to update the bios.

HP Recommended

Another setting I found buried in the advanced power options:

Go to power & sleep settings --> additional power settings --> change plan settings for whatever power plan you have --> changed advanced power settings --> Processor power management --> system cooling policy 

There are 2 options for system cooling policy: 

1) active: increases fan speed before slowing processor 

2) passive: slow processor before increasing fan speed 

My initial setting was set to passive, meaning when the processor heats up it will slow the processor before turning on the fan, which I would expect to generate more heat. I have switched to active and have noticed the bottom left side doesn't get very warm for regular daily use activities. I have had my bios updated for a while + hp coolsense on and was still having heat issues with the laptop prior to adjusting this.

I also have the I7 processor & am considering limiting the CPU maximum processor state most of the time (if i could go back in time I would have gotten the I5 - less heat). You can create a shortcut to toggle power management plans so I can double click on it when I use photoshop then switch back when I am done if I find the performance decrease is noticeable. For regular web browsing or videos I don't notice any performance changes if I limit it to 80% instead of 100%, which in theory means less heat and less sweaty laptop user during the summer 😃 and even with photoshop lightroom it is still usable with the CPU limited

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-switch-power-plans/

Hope this helps anyone who made it to page 10! 

HP Recommended

That's heat sink problem, you have to replace heat sink. If you can return/exchange laptop, do it.

I have two hp spectre x360 laptops (2nd gen). One is normal (called laptop A), but one (called laptop B) is very hot. I run prime95 and check cpu temp by HWmonitor on laptop B (both software are free). Cpu temp of laptop B is over 103 cecilus.

I bough artic silver thermal paste, but cpu temp of laptop B is still the same. So cpu or heat sink has problem.

I switch heat sink between two laptops.  For laptop B with heat sink from laptop A, cpu temp decreses to about 75 cecilus.  And for laptop A with heat sink from laptop B, cpu temp increases to over 100 cecilus.

So heat sink causes problem. I don't know what's wrong with heat sink. May be heat pipe.

I bought a HP spectre x360 with i7-7500u recently (model 13-AC033DX). It run very hot when I tested it via PassMark software (HWmonitor 85-87 C). I returned it. I still have another HP spectre x360 i7-6500u so I run PassMark at the same time as i7-7500u one and cpu temp of old i7-6500U model was only 67C). So it looks like that HP still have quality control problem with the heat sink.

Note that if you run prime95 (free software), it stresses cpu much more so temp is higher than PassMark. HWmonitor is also free.

HP Recommended
Wow! I’m surprised that the HP Spectre’s newer model still has this problem! I posted a solution to this over a year ago that I updated the BIOS, and the heat problem completely went away. My HP Spectre x360 13.3” laptop has not overheated in over a year.

It even survived the Windows 10 Fall Creators update 1709, running faster than before!

Good luck with your machine!
HP Recommended

mine is doing the same thing 😞 i have an i7 13 inch, i just got it today. it is too hot to set on my lap. the fan is also extremely loud. i am disapointed already

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.