Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
C'mon guys, I've told you the solution months ago. Just do as told in the quote, and enjoy your fantastic laptop.

@Le2 wrote:

Ok guys I've got some [good] news for you all.

The reason for high disk usage, which causes the heating, is SKYPE! The only way to manage this problem is to uninstall it. Nevertheless, it's not simple because Skype is a built-in app on Windows 10.

Here is what you need to do to uninstall Skype, Get-skype and Skype Cam for good:

- Type "Powershell" on search bar.

- Right-click "Run as administrator"

- Type "Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage" and press Enter.

Vola! Worked on my i7-version. Ever since I uninstalled Skype, my Spectre x360 has been spectacular.

Here's more specific instruction

HP Recommended
Thanks Le2 for your suggestion. I appreciate your eagerness for others to cool off thier spectre. Nevertheless I use Skype for work all the time and I imagine many other spectre users do as well. I don't think I could convince everyone else to change apps because my expensive high-end laptop can't handle Skype!
The options so far are: Uninstall Skype and a home made cooling device... Both well meaning proposals from forum members and 0 solutions from HP; the company who we paid for a top Model laptop and has not given us any comment up to this moment.
HP Recommended

Removed Win10 skype today. Who knows, maybe it can really. And I am using desktop Skype version anyway. I need it for work, but I'll try to uninstall it also on a weekend.

HP Recommended

My Spectre with 5500U processor also runs extremely hot at times. I've found that in Linux, it's generally very cool and quiet compared to Windows. Unless I'm compiling something on all four cores at 3GHz hehe. One time it literally shut down as I was using it because it was so blazing hot and I left it on a soft surface without ventilation. Frankly, I appreciate that HP didn't underclock the crap out of this thing, because I can do very CPU heavy tasks (albeit with quite a bit of heat) on an ultrabook. I know for a fact that Lenovo does that with their machines (I had the misfortune of owning one), and everything slows to a crawl. This is alright.

HP Recommended

So my Spectre x360(i7 - skylake) was running extremely hot.. like burning hot.. fan also runnning around 5K rpm..

I believe I resolved the issue by doing the following.

I looked at my task manager and figured out "HP support Framework" was using 80% of CPU.

I then unistalled HP support assistant and support framework...

CPU usage went down to 5% when only chrome running.

Voila.. the machine now runs at

The Temp went down to 38DegC from 85DegC.

HP support framework is the one which manages updates for you....

So i figured i can live without it and manually check for updates if it comes down to that...

You can use speedfan software to monitor the temps and fan speeds..

HP Recommended

Interesting that you had a suggestion to uninstall the HP support framework. It was that HP tool that alerted me that I had a BIOS update to be installed.

Prior to that, my month-old HP Spectre x360 Convertible  i7 13-4196 with  touchscreen was getting really hot in the bottom left corner near the fan ouput.  Last night, I was running a backup with the laptop charging, and a USB 3 3-Terabyte backup drive running a 3-hour backup. The laptop was sitting on a flat computer desk, and it was so hot I could barely touch it.  So I hauled out my 2003-vintage 4-fan laptop cooling fan,which was  also USB-powered by the Spectre. Well, that fan did a very nice job of quickly cooling the laptop, but I knew it ought to be cooler.

I was reading all these support topics on the subject of HP Spectre x360 overheating, and wanted to see how this machine did when NOT charging or powering something like my backup drive. So I was using it on my lap, on battery. I started off with the Spectre cold, and no fan operation. As I worked, just documenting, the thing got hotter and hotter, and the fan started running. 

I hauled out my infrared thermometer with laser sight and found the bottom left corner of my Spectre was over 115 degrees F. It was hottest about 2" in from the fan exhaust. The fan exhaust air was a bit cooler.  Well, I got a notice to install a BIOS update, so I did.  After that update, my PC was still kind of hot, but was cooling down quickly!  The hot spot on the back got down to 97 degrees, then 90 degrees. The fan output was about 85 degrees. The thing was getting positively ICY!  I kept working, and noticed that the temperature was cycling between 90 and 98 degrees, but was not getting any hotter.

My new BIOS version is V4.3Ap1.  I did not do anything else to my power settings, display brightness, or uninstall or stop any running software. Right now, after writing this entire entry, the left rear of the Spectre feels about the same temperature as the whole bottom - I can barely feel a difference!

Let's hope others here have the same luck I had!

>>Later comment: I am now using this Spectre while charging. I noticed that the unit is getting warmer, but my infrared thermometer reads 100 degrees F or less. Still very tolerable. Don't forget skin temperature is a bit over 90 degrees anyhow.

The real reason for this edit is to note that the purpose of the BIOS update I installed  is for a UEFI security fix. UEFI replaces the old BIOS scheme. The update details indicate NOTHING related to overheating. But I think something in the fix may still have had a bearing on the temperature problems. I also note that as the unit approaches 100% charged, it gets cooler. <<

[OFF TOPIC, but just evidence that all is not completely wonderful yet]  

If only my other issue of intermittent display flicker (just a really quick blink every now and then) would be cured; and the mystery of why it went from cold booting and shutting down in 7 seconds each when brand new (less than a month ago), to taking 14 seconds to boot, and 14 to shut down (after turning off Fast Boot mode) was also solved. But HEY, it's GOBS better than my old Vista PC that took 5 minutes to boot and about 3 minutes to shut down. 

HP Recommended

Thank you, I just bought the i7 and noticed top left hand corner extremely hot.

Opened task manager and there it was.   CPU running at 100% and HP Support and Framework running at 86%.  End task and almost immeidately did my laptop cool down.  From "extremely hot" to cool to touch!

Instead of unistalling, I disable run at start.

That fixed it.  Thanks so much.  Would hate to send back the lovely creature.

HP Recommended

@Rambo66 wrote:

So my Spectre x360(i7 - skylake) was running extremely hot.. like burning hot.. fan also runnning around 5K rpm..

I believe I resolved the issue by doing the following.

I looked at my task manager and figured out "HP support Framework" was using 80% of CPU.

I then unistalled HP support assistant and support framework...

CPU usage went down to 5% when only chrome running.

Voila.. the machine now runs at

The Temp went down to 38DegC from 85DegC.

HP support framework is the one which manages updates for you....

So i figured i can live without it and manually check for updates if it comes down to that...

You can use speedfan software to monitor the temps and fan speeds..

Thank you, I just bought the i7 and noticed top left hand corner extremely hot.

Opened task manager and there it was.   CPU running at 100% and HP Support and Framework running at 86%.  End task and almost immeidately did my laptop cool down.  From "extremely hot" to cool to touch!

Instead of unistalling, I disable run at start.

That fixed it.  Thanks so much.  Would hate to send back the lovely creature

HP Recommended
So I just recently had HP repair my Broadwell 5500U i7 model, and after they replaced the system board and fan assembly, the laptop has been *considerably* less uncomfortably hot, if at all, despite performing just as well. Someone at the repair center deserves a medal for this. Also, the 'security' update for uefi bios F.43 (from F.42) appears to oddly have also improved fan and temperature control. I'm very satisfied actually. Even under great strain, it doesn't become scalding hot like it used to. Clearly something is working for better cooling or heat insulation, HP probably realized that the scalding metal thing is a problem haha.
HP Recommended
And that's with a completely fresh installation of Ubuntu and Windows 10. On Windows, the thing used to get crazy hot but now it's just warm. On Linux, even compiling on all 4 cores for an hour, the temperature doesn't skyrocket and approach dangerous levels. I'm impressed.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.