Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4002dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The lap top charging led no longer lights up and the battery doesn't charge.

About 1 wk after warranty expired (end of APril) i turned one the laptop and used it for a while when a warning poped up indicating low battery and asked to connect to AC. Once plugged in, I noticed that the led light did not come on nor the power icon indicated AC.

Searched this forum and found 

Re: My HP Spectre 360 laptop crashed suddenly and won't charge.

Just before the the battery emptied, I  managed to complete the suggestion including hard reset and UEFI hardware test. Which passed. Along the way, I noticed NO beeps or power led blinking.

Also, used a multimeter to measured the output of the charger when plugged into AC which showed similar measurements as for another HP charger. Unfortunately this charge's plug won't fit the Specter. The laptop is now unusable.

Am hoping someone can help me recover this laptop and my investement.

Thanks in advance.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @agv29,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome.

Thanks for letting me know on what you have tried so far with your HP Spectre x360 13-4002dx Notebook and it will not charge or start. Have you checked the 45W AC adapter?

I think I would go to a repair center and have them try a different power adapter. If it powers up then we know what is the issue.

When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.

Here is a detailed troubleshooter for when the computer won't start for Windows.

Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Have you tried reseating Memory and the HDD? 

Please let me know how this goes.

To show that you like, or are thankful of my post, kindly click the Thumbs up below.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Dear Mrstenter,

I've carrying out and successfuly passing all the tests my battery allowed and that you'd suggested in your previous response. Unfortunately, nothing changed and the laptop won't charge.

So I took to the local ubreakifix service store; they've been helpful in the past with a number of other computers. Today they told me that having checked the charger and the rest of the machine and that they believe the reason is a "defective charging port". They also told me that they could not locate a supplier of a replacement part.

This is very troubling. Please advise what I should do.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hey @agv29,

I find that strange as we still have parts for models sold in 2010. Here is your service manual and here is a way to order this part from HP. The part you need is this, you just need to change your location in the right corner.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

So by this time, a month out of warranty and seemingly w/ no other recourse, took the laptop to another repair shop for a 'second opinion'. The service man's assessment, after opening the case and testing a few things, was that the mother board that went bad.

Anyone can guide me if/how this can be repaired/replaced?

HP Recommended

Hi @agv29,

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is a link to your service manual that shows part numbers page 30.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.  The manual title is "HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC (modelnumbers used: 13t-4200 through 42" . Page 30 lists only i7 system boards.

My laptop however is a13t-4002dx model. This has an i5 system board for which there's no part listed. Is this to say that it can be replaced with an i7 version? If so, what should one make of the fact that the i7 system boards indicate use only with Windows 10 pro and non-Windows OSs, when this laptop has Windows 10 Home installed?

Please advise: I want to be 100% sure that the correct replacement part is used before incuring this new expense. I also want to be sure that after replacement the laptop will properly  boot+run the installed Windows version and require no further effort/costs.

Thank you,

Adrian

HP Recommended

Hey @agv29,

This is a different model than you gave me originally. I would need the product number of the Notebook to ensure the response to the Motherboard Question. http://ow.ly/4wPq300u1sZ.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

A bit of a challenge readiing the small type/face.... I think am reading Product No. L0Q56UA#ABA 

Sorry about the delay.... am traveling for work these days.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hey @agv29,

This is the only part for the motherboard listed for your product. http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=L0Q56UA 

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.