Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 2020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I spilled a cup of coffee on my laptop’s keyboard about 36 hours ago. I immediately unplugged the power source and held the power button to shut it down. I dried it off and stood it on it’s side overnight so any excess coffee could drip out.

The screen will not come on. If I plug in the cord the orange light comes on and if I press the power button it lights up.

I called support yesterday and we tried holding the power button along with F6. Then we tried the power button along with windows button and B and finally that combo with V but nothing works.

Any suggestions? They want me to send it in for a new motherboard at a cost of $691 and I would like to avoid this if possible!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mickeylittle777 

Liquid spill is the second most damaging thing you can do to a laptop (first is dropping it on a hard floor).  The spill nearly always trickles down onto the system board and shorts it out -- and as you have now discovered, replacing that is a very expensive proposition.

And while you could attempt to do this yourself, there are major issues you will NOT be able to overcome if you attempt it yourself.

Sorry, the damage is done -- replacing the system board is the only workable solution -- and if you want the laptop working again, you will pay HP to do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Mickeylittle777 

Liquid spill is the second most damaging thing you can do to a laptop (first is dropping it on a hard floor).  The spill nearly always trickles down onto the system board and shorts it out -- and as you have now discovered, replacing that is a very expensive proposition.

And while you could attempt to do this yourself, there are major issues you will NOT be able to overcome if you attempt it yourself.

Sorry, the damage is done -- replacing the system board is the only workable solution -- and if you want the laptop working again, you will pay HP to do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and yes you are right however I had read of a couple instances of where after 48 hours the laptop would come back to life. Nevertheless mine did not so I paid the piper. For what it’s worth while I was on the phone I asked about a customer discount and the tech put me on hold for 5-10 minutes. She apologized every couple of minutes but I kept holding and eventually my price was dropped from $691 to $534, overnight shipping and all. I got the box yesterday, dropped it back off at FedEx yesterday afternoon and HP will get it this afternoon. With any luck I’ll get it Tuesday or Wednesday. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.