Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch011nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I believe the battery is swelling in my 1.5 year old HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch011nr.  The front seam has separated and the trackpad is starting to fail.  Is this a product defect covered under some sort of warranty?  Of course, the support site has made it perfectly clear that my warranty just expired, but I'm asking anyways, because this really seems like a defect. If not covered, where can I order a new one?  Thanks, Mark

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@YoMarkyMark I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just in case anyone reading this has a problem receiving private messages (like I did), I recommend that you try clearing the cookies for your browser.  In my case, after logging in, the private message "envelope" icon did not show up until I cleared cookies and logged back in.

HP Recommended

FYI for anyone reading this.  This is how the situation has played out thus far.

- 5/25/2020 - Posted original message about swollen battery

- 5/25/2020 - 6/5/2020 - Back and forth messages about model number, etc

- 6/5/2020 - HP offers to fix if I ship unit back and wait up to two weeks for repair.  I request a battery be sent here instead, since I can fix in about an hour, and really don't want to be without my laptop for two weeks, because I use it for business.

- 6/8/2020 - HP declines to send battery stating "I am not able to send the part due to a shortage but we can get it sent in for repair."  Not sure how they can repair a battery, but not actually have the part.  Maybe they can replace the internals of the battery pack?  I request part number for battery so I can try to purchase a replacement.

6/9/2020 - HP sends battery part number.  I contact HP parts to try to buy, but they indicate part is not available.  They suggest I try their CDW affiliate (itpas) to see if they have the part.

6/10/2020 - I contact CDW affiliate and they say they will look for the part and get back to me.  Did not hear back.

6/16/2020 - Still waiting to hear from CDW affiliate.

6/16/2020 - Inquired with HP if possible to uninstall battery and still use the laptop.  That would allow me to remove and send back just the battery for repair, while still using the laptop.  Much better than sending entire laptop.  Waiting to hear back.

HP Recommended

Final Update -

6/20/2020 - I removed the battery and was still able to use the laptop, although there was a CMOS warning that popped up whenever I restarted.  Not unexpected, but just noting in case anyone else runs into this.

7/5/2020 - I received a replacement battery from HP today.  I'm thankful that they decided to provide a replacement free of charge.  It was difficult to convince them to just send the battery, rather than return the entire laptop, but eventually they did.  I'm currently running the battery through several charge / discharge cycles.  Here's a side-by-side picture of the old battery and the new replacement.

20200705_075244.jpg

HP Recommended

OK, the last response is definitely not the final update.  After a couple of days of charging, the replacement battery that HP sent never charged past 45% and I was never able to run the laptop off the battery.  I checked the battery via the BIOS diagnostics, and there was clearly a problem with the battery, as indicated in the image below.  Then, after a couple more days of use, the laptop wouldn't even power on, so I remove the replacement battery just so that I could use the laptop.  I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.  HP supplied me with a non-functional battery, and there are no third party alternatives.  I guess I've now got a plug-in-only laptop.

20200705_170555.jpg

HP Recommended

File a complaint here SaferProducts.gov

The Spectre units should be included in the recall just like all the other notebooks.

You can purchase a new battery here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/928372-855-HP-11-55v-Battery-6C-84WH-3-64ah-LI-YB/143638392263?ssPageName...

HP Recommended

Hi @YoMarkyMark

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have a bloated or swollen battery. It is really hard to get help. 

my battery is 928372 855

HP Recommended

Hi @gojira35,

I’d recommend you to contact HP Phone Support in your region for further assistance.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

and, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.