Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G5 Notebook PC
Linux

I have replaced Windows 10 with Ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to update my BIOS without reinstalling Windows.  Therefore, I have created a usb stick to update my BIOS using the PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tool.  This works fine to get the proper UEFI menu to choose which version of the BIOS to use to begin the update process. 

The problem that I am having is that my System Board ID is 81EB and none of the recommended BIOS firmware files have the same version.  After extracting the BIOS firmware files from the installer, the closest BIOS version I see is 81EC.   Can someone verify which version of the BIOS I should use to update the BIOS on my HP 250 G5 Notebook?  The closest version of the BIOS that I can find is 81EC and I need 81EB.

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved my problem by creating a bootable usb stick with the UEFI diagnostics tool and then extracting the firmware files from the official BIOS update application and copying all the firmware files to Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/new

Upon booting the diagnotics boot stick, I was then prompted to update my BIOS and I did not need to select any specific BIOS update file.  So, I did not have to look up my system board ID information at all.  The official directions say the firmware file must be manually selected, but that is not true if the files are copied to the "new" directory.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I solved my problem by creating a bootable usb stick with the UEFI diagnostics tool and then extracting the firmware files from the official BIOS update application and copying all the firmware files to Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/new

Upon booting the diagnotics boot stick, I was then prompted to update my BIOS and I did not need to select any specific BIOS update file.  So, I did not have to look up my system board ID information at all.  The official directions say the firmware file must be manually selected, but that is not true if the files are copied to the "new" directory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.