Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 850 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

When I plug in my Samsung T5 external SSD using the USB-C cable to my HP Elitebook 850 G6, the disk is not activated/powered.
The disk has no issues. When I restart my computer and leave the disk in, it is powered on at boot time. When I log in to Windows 10 the filesystem on the SSD is mounted can be read and written to.
If I disconnect the T5 again and reconnect the cable, the disk is again not detected (not powered) and I have to reboot. So according to me 'Hot swapping' fails...

I have read different articles which indicate that setting the option 'Thunderbolt PCIe Hot plug Mode.' to 'Native + Low Power'  in the BIOS should solve my issue, but I don't have that option in my BIOS settings. I have all the latest drivers and firmware/BIOS updates installed, via the HP Assistant software.
The documents I am referring to are:

Can someone help me with this missing Bios Entry?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello

which is the current BIOS version of your 850 G6 ? 01.05.03 ?

bye

HP Recommended

yes, indeed. I have the latest BIOS version

2020-07-01_17-37-05.png

HP Recommended

Hello

850 G6 just have Thunderbolt Mode On and OFF.  Eventually you can do I test disablein Thunderbolt and see what happens.

I just have an externalUSB-C SSD 256 NBME and works fine.

bye

HP Recommended

Changing USB/PCI/thunderbolt options in the BIOS, does not solve my issue, the problem remains.

I don't understand that the BIOS option (which I referred to in my first post) is available for HP 850 G5 but not for the G6 model.

I'm pretty sure this would solve my issue, when reading the previous articles.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.