Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-W151NR

It is unfortunate when one of the DC power connecters in picture was pulled out of my laptop, it tore with it its socket that was soldered to the motherboard. Now that the laptop is not charging, it is deemed useless, and I hate the idea of giving up on a machine with such high-end specs. So I thought to stop here first and ask the experts if this issue is fixable? 

WIN_20201124_17_41_54_Pro (2)_LI.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The official fix would be to replace the motherboard.

I would take it to the local trusted computer technician or smartphone repair shop and see if they can solder the slot back on. If not, I am sure they can solder the wires directly to the motherboard. Id does depend a little on the damage from the tearing away of the slot, but in my opinion it is possible to fix.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi David, thanks for your suggestion, it certainly helps narrowing my options. 

I have the soldering tools but never attempted a repair like this one before, and I wonder if there is a public resource (manual or instructions) available out there that might aid in accomplishing this task?

HP Recommended

HI,

There are many videos you could look at to solder part on motherboards or look at smartphone soldering.

From the picture, I can not really make out if the actual pads are still on the motherboard (or you would need to recreate them), that is why I advised taking to a local good computer technician, smartphone technician, or even someone who repairs TVs (as they are usually capable to work on electronic boards)

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Just wanted to add that you could probably just solder the wires to the board (without socket) which might be easier if you can see where they should go.

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.