Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own one unit of HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j127tx Notebook PC, i7-4700MQ processor, max 16 GB RAM (2 x 8 GB). I have used both DDR3 and DDR3L type, and low-density, as well as high-density sticks, work without any problem at all.

I have used HP 350 G1, a dual-core processor, with max RAM of 16 GB. Also Pavilion g4, also 16 GB RAM. I was issued a Lenovo Thinkpad E480 machine at work, with 8 GB RAM, which I made to run on NVMe PCIe SSD, It was fast, but I wasn't really that impressed. I hate it when manufacturers swap the CTRL and Fn keys! Really! I also managed to recover one unit of ASUS U36JC i5 machine. I've also come across the Lenovo V310 and S143, Sxxx machines. In my opinion, nothing comes close to the HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j127tx laptop. Especially the keyboard. So I still prefer to use my (6-year) old laptop.

For what it is worth, I am planning to upgrade the CPU to i7-4900MQ. Here's my question. As per ark.intel.com data, both CPU (i7-4700MQ and i7-4900MQ) can take in 32 GB max RAM. So is the design for HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j127tx Notebook PC able to take in 32 GB RAM, or is it limited to 16 GB? The ASUS U36JC specs say it can take up to 4 GB only (2 x 2 GB), but as per ark.intel.com, max RAM is 8 GB. And I have checked with ASUS support, and they confirmed that the machine can take 8 GB.

So is the case for HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j127tx Notebook PC the same? Can I slot in 2 sticks of 16 GB DDR3 RAM so I get 32 GB total, or do I keep to the 16 GB RAM (2 x 8 GB)? Kindly confirm. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are limited to a max of 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Yes, the processor and chipset can support 32 GB of memory, but your notebook would need 4 memory slots to support that, and it only has two.

That is why you are limited to 16 GB.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are limited to a max of 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Yes, the processor and chipset can support 32 GB of memory, but your notebook would need 4 memory slots to support that, and it only has two.

That is why you are limited to 16 GB.

HP Recommended

I'm just thinking, if I can get 2 x 16 GB RAM sticks, will the motherboard  accept that? 

HP Recommended

I don't believe that it will.

That is up to you if you want to try it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.