Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx laptop on the left side bottom the black case cover started popping up when I open/close the lid. It is not completely broken off, I can hold it closed while closing or opening the lid (screen) but it's worrying me.

Don't know I need to change Hinge or Base cover. My warranty expired July 2014.

HP Experts please help.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Venkatesh R

Venkatesh R
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just received the Fixed Laptop from HP Tech Center. They fixed the hardware parts for Hinge issue.

I personally thank Jenn (Case Manager) for elevating the case and Following up to ensure everything goes smooth. Hats Off!

I also thank @george-p, @JeffHelp, @Futoji for the support.

Will take care to ENVY more!

Venkatesh R

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello @venkatx5,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Futoji,

I provided all required details. But haven't received any response or call.

Any idea how long it'll take? Am afraid to use my laptop as hinge is creaking.

The laptop bought few months back and never dropped.

I see couple of posts stating similar issue due to mismatch Metla hinge with Plastic base cover.

Thanks.

Regards,

Venkatesh R

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

I haven't received any response yet. :catsad: 

I believe in HP for Quality.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Hi,

You could try contacting phone support to see if they can provide assistance on this.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I called to given no and it went to Tech Support Agent.
Then she redirected to Another Agent. He again redirected to Hardware technician.

The Technician specified, that he can't help as it's out of warranty. 😞 

Also I need to pay, if it has to be fixed by HP. Wonder, why would I pay for Design Issue! (sigh)

He also said, this ticket (Ticket No 300 715 4440) has been escalated and I should get a call. It's more than 3 days and No One called.

I relied on HP for Quality. Now loosing patience and hope.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Got a call today from HP Support. After 1 hour talk, he specified I have to pay $195 for repair. Then gave discount and asked to pay $116.  I told him, I can't afford that charge (It's 20% of Laptop Cost). Then he suggested to take local PC Repair shop to get it fixed. 😞 

I never dropped the laptop. I use it occasionaly + Bought couple of months back only. It's 17" touchscreen and due to this hinge Issue am not using touch feature at all. Even Not the keyboard. Accessing the PC only with wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

It's Design Issue by HP and they charge customers for that which is not Fair.

I relied on HP for Quality. Disappointed after this. 

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

I just call​ed​ back to given no and it connected with Jenn, HP Case Manager. She specified HP is not decided yet to recall this Product. Even if so many users complaint about it, HP is not going to Recall or admit it as Design Issue. Because it's not how it works in HP. Quality Engineers should decide and inform HP for the same.

She suggested to Pay for the repair and get 90 day warranty. But my concern is what if it breaks after the warranty?

She replied that "Electronics products will break anytime. We cannot give warranty for that." Seriously? I don't know all these years.

I used so many other brands and doesn't have any issue with Hinge on NORMAL use.

Am searching a medium to inform this to HP.

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

I reported, elevated the issue. HP is ready to Fix it. 

Thanks HP. Now I can vouch HP for Quality Support!

All the very Best!

Venkatesh R
HP Recommended

Just received the Fixed Laptop from HP Tech Center. They fixed the hardware parts for Hinge issue.

I personally thank Jenn (Case Manager) for elevating the case and Following up to ensure everything goes smooth. Hats Off!

I also thank @george-p, @JeffHelp, @Futoji for the support.

Will take care to ENVY more!

Venkatesh R
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.