Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy x360 ryzen 7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • I am currently using the latest driver from HP for the touchpad and the latest version of windows 10. however, after clicking on the pad (either right, left, center) the touchpad works erratically. It seems that left click is always click and when i try to click, right click menu opens and closes immediately. gestures doesn't also. Weird enough, trackpad and gestures works fine after restart and if i don't click on the pad. Problem returns when i click on it. I have tried rolling back drivers to the June 2018 version but with no luck and with March 2018 version, i was able to bring back synaptics tab in mouse settings but still problem occurs when i click on the pad. Hope someone could help! 
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @kly91

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1) Right click on the start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".
2) Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices".
3) Right click TouchPad and then click on uninstall and restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, try testing the hardware -  

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F2 once. 
4) Go to Component test. 
5) From the list, run the Touchpad test. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

Thanks for replying.

I have already done your suggestions but the problem is still there. Every time I click on the clickpad. This actually occurred only after the HP assist update installation of new BIOS, HPtilt pen and the new driver for the touchpad. I tried rolling back the HP touchpad drivers but it still does not solve it.

I tried the component test and it won't work when i use the click pads.  Though retrying the test using only tap and gesture features works for me as long as i don't click on the pad. Clicking will render the touchpad unusable even gestures and taps. it seems that it will get stuck at right/left click after clicking.

HP Recommended

@kly91

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, it wasn't hardware related. It was the hp software driver and windows 10 updates that ruined it. I fixed it by reinstalling Windows 10 1903 even though this process was so inconvenient. Had to restart from scratch again. Touchpad and clicks now works fine just like before. 

HP Recommended

@kly91

Thanks for the Input.

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.