Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP15da0503sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I deactivate the touchpad. I am using a mouse and don't need the touchpad and it interferes if I inadvertently touch it when typing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Raj1788

Downloading and installing the Touchpad driver had no effect.

However I found a Windows article "How to turn on or off Touchpad Gestures in Windows 10. In there I saw a screen image of  "Symantec Control Panel". So I pressed the Windows key + S and there I found Synaptics Touchpad. In the right hand panel I clicked Open then I was able check the box (as suggested by Jeet_singh in his first post) "Disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is attached" and click Apply on a screen "Synaptics  Pointing Device".

And it works!! My Touchpad is disabled and if I remove my USB mouse it is active.

So I have solved the problem for myself.

However my thanks you and Jeet_singh for your help

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@JohnM29,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

You may follow the steps suggested in this support document - HP Notebooks with Synaptics TouchPad - How to Disable the "Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad"...

To disable the Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad feature, open the TouchPad tab in Mouse Properties.

1. Click Start , and then type mouse in the search field.

2. Click Change your mouse settings.

3. Click Additional mouse options.

Clicking on Additional mouse options

In Mouse Properties, click the TouchPad tab.

1. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use

2. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure : Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

If the issue persists uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager and update the BIOS and touchpad drivers from the link below.

You can update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer this document to further troubleshoot touchpad issues with your PC.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet-Singh

I will give it a try and let you know

JohnM29

HP Recommended

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,
I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet_singh

Afraid that does not work as when I click "Additional mouse options" I do not  see "ClickPad Settings" only Buttons, Pointers, Power Options, Wheel and Hardware.

JohnM29

HP Recommended

Let's try uninstalling the Touchpad driver:

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 

2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 

3. Under this category, right click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 

4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button. 

5. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 

6. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically 

You may refer to this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run the Windows update troubleshooter.

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios on your computer from  HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_singh

I am nervous about doing what you suggest!! It all seems very drastic!!

What if after deleting the driver software and restarting my PC, Windows does not attempt to reinstall the driver or tries and fails??

Running Windows Update is part of my daily routine checks.

If we have to update the Bios, HP Support Assistant is already set to notify me of updates available.

Can you assure me that if I follow your suggestions I will not the ability to use my PC?

JohnM29

HP Recommended

One other thing, Jeet_singh, I have only had this HP laptop for two weeks - surely it would have come fully up-to-date???

JohnM29

HP Recommended

@JohnM29,

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to try uninstalling the touchpad drivers from device manager. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_singh

If I uninstall the driver, how can I reinstall it in the future if I need it?

JohnM29

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.