Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

hi guys

i bought my hp laptop yesterday i use it for gaming but when i downloaded and started my game i realised that my trackpad doesn't work while i use my keyboard. how can i fix this ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally, you just need to turn off SmartSense or PalmCheck the Synaptics control panel - however from what I've seen, this no longer seems to work for Windows 10 versions of this driver.

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

Turn off your wireless card ( should be f12 ).

Open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Open the Synaptics settings panel, disable SmartSense or PalmCheck and then check if the touchpad will now work with a keyboard key held down. 

If it does, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, otherwise see Here for a guide on locating this information.

The version of the operating system ( ie Windows 10 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Product name:HP Notebook
Product number:W2W68EA#UUG
Serial number:CND6142KPT
BIOS:F.1E-12/25/2015
Keyboard revision:96.44
Total memory:12.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz

and it is a Windows 10 home 64 bit

HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally, you just need to turn off SmartSense or PalmCheck the Synaptics control panel - however from what I've seen, this no longer seems to work for Windows 10 versions of this driver.

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

Turn off your wireless card ( should be f12 ).

Open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Open the Synaptics settings panel, disable SmartSense or PalmCheck and then check if the touchpad will now work with a keyboard key held down. 

If it does, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

thank you very much it is working now. but i didn't understand the last link u send me.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

The last link is for a Microsoft Utility that you can use to prevent the Synaptics driver from being automatically updated.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

sorry but every time i shut down my laptop and turn it on again my mouse goes back to where it was so it dont works with the keyboard on the same time, how can is stop this?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you used the Microsoft Tool on the link below to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

yes i tried it but it didn't work or i didn't know how to use it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try doing this in the following order.

Download the Microsoft Tool on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Go through the process of uninstalling the unwanted Synaptics driver, then reboot and install the Synaptics driver you need to allow the keyboard/touchpad to work correctly - when this driver has installed, do not restart.

Instead, open your Downloads folder and launch the Microsoft Tool.

Click on Next and let it scan.

When the scan has completed, select the 'Hide Updates' option.

Look for the Synaptics driver in the list and enter a checkmark in the box next to it, then click Next.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.