Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cw1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently purchased this computer from my local Office Depot and think I'm missing some drivers for the trackpad.  

The trackpad works, but I would like to reverse the scrolling direction and deactivate the tap-touch.  Both of these things are available through tutorials and forums I have found online  But when I attempt to recreate the steps, I am missing a part of the settings where these options are supposedly held.

Running Windows 10 Home Edition x64. 

Under mouse properties, I have the tabs Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, and Hardware.  I cannot find any "two-finger scrolling" options anywhere on the system either. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@FarAdvance4
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

Next step, BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. Once it's done uninstall the Touchpad device,

Next, uninstall Touchpad device from device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 
  2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 
  3. Under this category, right-click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 
  4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button. 
  5. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 
  6. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically.

Click here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/touchpad-no-reverse-scroll-option/m-p... to know more about touchpad scrolling settings.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for the response.

I followed all the steps and still do not have any available options for reversing the scrolling direction.  I followed the link to the other thread as well, and those options just simply aren't available to me.  

Once I uninstalled the driver and rebooted, the machine didn't prompt to reinstall the driver for the touchpad, instead it was working after login with the same issue.

https://imgur.com/a/yhpQTOc

https://imgur.com/a/GEQSEFP

https://imgur.com/a/Qk6QdhZ

Here are screenshots of the mouse and touchpad settings after having followed the steps and uninstalled the driver.

HP Recommended

@FarAdvance4
Thank you for posting back. 

Firstly let's install Synaptics Touchpad drivers using HP Support Assistant:
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And also please post back with computer exact product model no? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@FarAdvance4

Once you've installed the Synaptics Touchpad drivers use the below steps:

• Search Windows for TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

• Click Additional settings.
  1. Open the TouchPad or ClickPad Settings.
  2. Two-Finger Scrolling is located under MultiFinger Gestures. If you do not see Two-Finger Scrolling, click the Arrow icon https://support.hp.com/document/attachments/images/414/c04100533.jpgto the left of the MultiFinger Gestures checkbox.
  3. Two-Finger Scrolling. If the checkbox next to Two-Finger Scrolling does not contain a check mark, click the checkbox until a check mark displays to enable scrolling.
  4. Click the Settings icon https://support.hp.com/document/attachments/images/771/c04100527.jpgto adjust scrolling settings. You can make the following adjustments:
    • Scrolling speed - Adjusts the speed of scrolling.
    • Enable vertical scrolling - Allows scrolling by sliding your fingers up or down on the touchpad.
    • Enable horizontal scrolling - Allows scrolling by sliding your fingers left or right on the touchpad.
    • Enable reverse scrolling direction - Changes the direction of scrolling. (You need to verify what the customer settings is and change it accordingly.)
    • Enable EdgeMotion when scrolling - Continues scrolling when your fingers reach the edge of the touchpad.
    • Enable Coasting - Continues scrolling after you lift your fingers off the touchpad.
  5. Click the Close button to return to the properties screen.
  6. Click the Apply button to apply your changes, and then select OK to exit the properties screen.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for following up.

I checked for updates via Windows Update and there were none.  

I also downloaded and installed the HP Support Assistant and found that there was only a graphics update available but kept failing to install.  It doesn't seem to be related to the trackpad issues as it's for the AMD graphics card.

Is there a way to specifically search for the Synaptics Touchpad drivers?

Here is the screenshot I grabbed from the Support Assistant about my computer information.

HP Recommended

@FarAdvance4, I think you're talking about the Touchpad Settings that come on most Windows 10 laptops by default. In other words, on your HP, there are very few settings under: Settings > Touchpad Settings. Is this correct?

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 and it has all the gesture settings I could ever ask for under Settings > Touchpad Settings. It's because Dell made a smart decision and chose to ship the Inspiron with Microsoft Precision Drivers. Lenovo laptops also ship with Microsoft Precision Drivers.

Now, I also bought an HP Spectre x360, and none of those settings are there. HP made a poor decision and chose to ship their laptops with the crappy Synaptics Touchpad Drivers instead of the superior Microsoft Precision Drivers like the others are using.

Just download and install the Microsoft Precision Drivers yourself which is the fix you're looking for. I'm following another ticket in this community and it's clear that the support team at HP isn't here to help you, or anyone else for that matter.

HP Recommended

Yes, that was correct.  Turns out I couldn't get the drivers/support I needed from HP.  

It wound up being "ELAN Touchpad Settings" that controls the settings, not anything else.

In there, you will see your touchpad.  Click 'options' and you can adjust the single, double, and triple finger gestures as well as scrolling direction from there.

HP Recommended

Yes, that was correct.  Turns out I couldn't get the drivers/support I needed from HP.  

It wound up being "ELAN Touchpad Settings" that controls the settings, not anything else.

In there, you will see your touchpad.  Click 'options' and you can adjust the single, double, and triple finger gestures as well as scrolling direction from there.

HP Recommended

I just installed the Microsoft Precision Drivers and it gave me all the gestures that the Dell had by default. Everything seems to be working fine and all of the Touchpad Settings within my Windows 10 Settings were updated as well.

Easy peasy, but I feel like HP should be shipping their devices with the Microsoft Precision Drivers already installed instead of the crappy Synaptics drivers they chose. Some companies do some really silly things.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.