Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elite X2 1012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Elite X2 1012 and the travel keyboard has stopped working. It just completely stopped working one day. I went out and bought a new one, but it does not work also. Now I am at a loss. Any ideas?

If I plug in a wireless keyboard and mouse it works fine. The on screen keyboard works. But the most important travel keyboard does nothing. The only way I can even tell it is alive is by pressing the "caps lock" key repeatedly and the light on that key flashes for a brief moment. But that is it.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. It seems to have started on 8/22. 

HP Recommended

Hi, used to have same issue before, it disappeared no idea what fixed it. Now I am having the issue again :(.

Keyboard lives somehow, one does not have to press caps lock, since it blinks in approx 10s intervals.

Would be great if HP adresses this nasty feature somehow...

Thx!

HP Recommended

Ok folks, I solved the problem. If you are facing the same issue, the fix is easy. You have to perform a "system drain."

1. Remove the travel keyboard.
  2. Shut down the computer
  3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. The time is important, make sure you keep the power button pressed for at least 30 continuos seconds. During this time, you may see the HP logo flash on the screen one time - ignore this and keep the button pressed.
  4. After at least 30 seconds let go of the power button and reattach the keyboard
  5. Power on the computer
  6. If it worked you should see something on the screen about firmware updating - this is a good sign

The "system drain" is supposed to drain the motherboard of all power so that all the circuits reset and then when you power back up it has to reinitialize in some way.

Hope this works for you.

HP Recommended

GREAT!!! Many thanks!!! It worked for me 🙂 🙂 :-)!!! I have not seen neither logo nor firmware update screen, however it helped 🙂 🙂 :-)!!!

HP Recommended

thank you, this workd for me as well.......YAY

HP Recommended
But i m facing the other thpe of problem...
Keyboard firmware update failed .....
If i attach the keyboard after booting windows it works fine but when i restart the computer attaching the keyboard it failed to firmware update .....
Please resolve my this problel
HP Recommended

Any other suggestons? I have tried bios updates, the hold the power button and other updates and it still will not reload the firmware for the keyboard. It has no lights or any reactions. I used the keyboard on another tablet and it was recognized right away. I have tried 3 known working keyboards on this one Elite X2 and none of them will work. I know it is an issue wth the firmware/software  but can't find any solution. This has been n use for less than a month running windows 10.

HP Recommended

Has this issue been resolved? After not receiving any support from HP I just bought another keyboard. The first keyboard died after a couple of months and now the 2nd keyboard has died.

HP Recommended

This worked for me dude thank you very much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.