Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Is there a way to disable the persistent backlight under the F5 key on HP Spectre x360 notebooks?  TO CLARIFY, I'M NOT ASKING HOW TO DISABLE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE F5 KEY OR ANY OTHER FUNCTION KEYS.  I just would like to know how to TURN OFF the PERMANENT light underneath the F5 KEY.  It is extremely bright and distracting.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

Hello @amt2 

I appologize but there is no way to disable the F5 LED key on the backlit keyboard at this time.

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Can the keys be removed individually by popping them off (and then popping them back in), so that somebody could physically disable the bulb underneath?

HP Recommended

I've come across people who've opened and tinkered with their Spectre online somewhere. However, with these ultrabooks, you really have to be careful, and for most people, that's just not possible. These machines are more crammed than ever before, so most repairs are better done by a pro. That said, and this is not a direct answer to your question, I do notice if I fold the laptop back into tablet mode, the keyboards and touchpad are disabled completely (and of course the F5 LED light is also turned off). Is this done by the sensor in the hinge, or the software? I hope it is the latter, since I also would like to turn that annoying LED off of the F5 key.

HP Recommended

Well is there a way to permanently disable ALL backlighting (including the F5 key backlight), like somewhere the BIOS or drivers or something?

HP Recommended

Hello,

You cannot remove the F5 key individually and would not recommend attempting so as it could cause damager to the key.

At this time you cannot disable the LED or change the dimming properties.

Appologize for the inconvience. 

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

The brightness can be a major distractions to some users so if you could put in a suggestion to the support/product/engineering team that would be appreciated.

Either:

- option to disable F5 key backlight when keyboard backlighting is not enabled

- option to change the F5 key backlight brightness

- option to disable all backlighting whatsoever

HP Recommended

I really badly want this, too. Thank you, HP.

(I prefer no backlights at all and find the lone, lit-up key quite bothersome.)

HP Recommended

I have a question: is disabling the f5 light completely impossible with software, or is it possible but just hasn't been implemented yet?

If it's possible, I'm hopeful that one of the many developers that received a Spectre at Build will have a solution soon!

HP Recommended

PLEASE FIX THIS HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.