Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb031ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will explain my setup. I have the laptop closed and external monitor + wireless keyboard and mouse connected to it so it works like a desktop. I have on the right side connected usb 3.0 hub (for speakers, printer and phone docking USB cable) beside the type C.

Next step I got the HP Spectre USB-C Travel Dock and connect to the TYPE C port to get USB ports on the table. Nothing was connected to it and I found when the computer having many process and CPU highly loaded I hear the sound that USB disconnected and the TYPE C doesn`t work then. I have tried reboot computer nothing help. I have opened it and disconnect the battery then connect it again. I thought it may reset CMOS and when I reconnect the battery type C start work again.

Next time when it disconnect the TYPE C port I have tried upgrade BIOS with HP utility. It help to reset it again and Type C start work again.

That`s really annoying to disconnect the battery / update BIOS every time when the type C disconnect

I found that reset can be done click and hold power button. I have tried this way, when the computer turned on click and hold power button for about 10 sec, release and turn on the computer. That helps to restore type c port connection in this laptop.

I have unplugged this dock station and not using this. Searching for a new one.

I have a feeling this type C port not useful for connection to dock station, the only may work a USB flash drive there. I have tried to connect only mouse receiver to this port and that disconnect the port as well with it. Probably any issue with the power on the motherboard and it goes to a protection mode. Not sure. If you will need any diagnostics from my side to troubleshoot this issue, feel free to let me know about it. I`m really thinking to replace this laptop with another brand. Too much troubles with the HP.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SamLow wrote:

... I have a feeling this type C port not useful for connection to dock station, the only may work a USB flash drive there...

@SamLow 

The USB-C port on your machine is ONLY an USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge). Therefore you can't connect it to an USB-C dock.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello.

Thank you for your reply, but looks like something wrong there.

Please check the HP Dock Specs Here --> HP USB-C Travel Dock 

It shows 

Minimum system requirements

-- Thunderbolt or USB Type-C™ Gen 1 port; DisplayPort 1.2 + sleep and charge

If you say this is port in the laptop is not compatible then why it works till the computer highly loading then it stops. It stops even when the only USB receiver from the mouse connected to the type C port so the issue not in the dock which should be 100% compatible with this laptop accordingly to description for both devices (dock and laptop)

If it not work with the dock it will not work at all. What do you think?

Why it dropping even with the USB mouse dongle?

Hope you can help.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.